Old 06-06-2003, 05:32 PM
fastfwd

Default Heavy Duty Pond Liner

My parents put in a pretty big pond and had to get a commercial outfit to
come out and line it with a heavy duty pond liner. It's some really thick
black stuff that they use in pig farm ponds or something. They had to use
some kind of special tool that melted the pieces together. I watched them
do it. It was like an iron that ran down the seem. My cousin is now
wanting to use what we had left to do his pond and I was wondering if any of
you guys know how he can join this thick black stuff? I see that Becket
tape and maybe some kind of cement is recommended, but does this work for
the really thick black stuff? I think he would like to do it as
inexpensively as possible so is there anything that you can improvise with?
Thanks!

--
A sickened mind and spirit
The mirror tells me lies

Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"fastfwd" wrote in message
My parents put in a pretty big pond and had to get a commercial outfit to
come out and line it with a heavy duty pond liner. It's some really thick
black stuff that they use in pig farm ponds or something. They had to use
some kind of special tool that melted the pieces together. I watched them
do it. It was like an iron that ran down the seem. My cousin is now
wanting to use what we had left to do his pond and I was wondering if any

of
you guys know how he can join this thick black stuff? I see that Becket
tape and maybe some kind of cement is recommended, but does this work for
the really thick black stuff? I think he would like to do it as
inexpensively as possible so is there anything that you can improvise

with?

Any idea what the material is? PVC? EPDM? Is it heavy? If so probably EPDM.
Does it say Firestone anywhere on it? Different liner materials require
different bonding materials.

BV.

Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Hank Pagel

If it is EPDM rubber you can get a seam sealer from a professional roofing supplier. Clean seams
with gasoline and brush on sealer (or run a bead from caulk tube) and join pieces. The rubber bonds
so well that if you try to rip it it will tear next to the seam , not the seam. Allow all gasoline
to evaporate before filling with water. This sealant is used for commercial roofing and is much
cheaper than anything sold for "POND" or "RV" use. It is sold in 5 gal. buckets but they sell
smaller amounts for "PATCH KITS". Good luck, Hank

Old 06-06-2003, 06:56 PM
fastfwd

Ok, I took a couple of pictures of it. I don't know what it is, but I
believe it is about as heavy duty as it gets for water retention. I
remember them saying something about there being laws for containing pig
waste that were really strict and this stuff is made to do the trick. You
can see the seam that has been melted between the two sheets. Once it had
been joined they could pull large sections of this stuff around without
worrying about any of it tearing.

http://www.geocities.com/fastfwd01/DSC00003.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/fastfwd01/DSC00004.JPG

This stuff was installed in a pretty big yard pond:

http://www.geocities.com/fastfwd01/DSC00006.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/fastfwd01/DSC00013.JPG

it's pretty ugly exposed too!

Old 06-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Now THAT'S a POND! How lovely! and I really dig the mermaids. It would be a
lot of work on a pond that size, but you could go around the edge of the
pond, dig a little trench, lay the liner down inside it, then put the
dirt/sod back over (essentially "naturalizing" the edge). God only knows
it's too big to put rocks around the edge G!

The liner appears to be EPDM. I know there are ways of piecing it, but I've
never done it. One of the more ingenious ways I heard of to "moosh" the two
pieces together, after having put the bonding stuff on, was to lay it out in
the driveway and run a car wheel back and forth over the seam.
Alternatively, perhaps the company that installed your folk's pond could
seam it for him? It sounds like they probably galvanized the pieces together
.. . .

Great pond!

Lee

Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 AM
fastfwd

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Now THAT'S a POND! How lovely! and I really dig the mermaids. It would be

lot of work on a pond that size, but you could go around the edge of the
pond, dig a little trench, lay the liner down inside it, then put the
dirt/sod back over (essentially "naturalizing" the edge). God only knows
it's too big to put rocks around the edge G!

Thanks on their behalf...... yes, my dad and I have done a little of the
trench digging and we did some of the rock around the edge too....just not
enough of either and we had all we wanted when we got done with what we had
done.

The liner appears to be EPDM. I know there are ways of piecing it, but

I've
never done it. One of the more ingenious ways I heard of to "moosh" the

two
pieces together, after having put the bonding stuff on, was to lay it out

in
the driveway and run a car wheel back and forth over the seam.
Alternatively, perhaps the company that installed your folk's pond could
seam it for him? It sounds like they probably galvanized the pieces

together
. . .

Great pond!

Lee