Old 06-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Wilson

Default Idea for a water feature...tell me what you think.

.....and be brutal, I want to know if I'm getting myself into a bad situation up front.

I've been kicking around an idea for a water feature in my backyard for months now...I have an area about 10X15 right up against my house and I'd like to throw it out to you experts for advice, tips and even how to.
My inspiration comes from rtk's pic of her waterfall.....

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...wPondPage.html

.....what I'd like to do however is basically just have the 2x2 basin at the top and a similar size catch basin at the bottom, I don't want a pond and all the work that is involved with it and I don't want fish....I just want the feature and to have it filled with plants and then have a nice dry creek bed made with gray slate that someone posted here recently in regards to a Japanese garden.

I'm pretty confident about the pump setup as my parents have had a pond for several months now and are enjoying it but my questions are mainly will I need a filter with this type of a setup, what size pump should I consider and since I have no experience at all with flexible? liner's....in rtk's setup how exactly is liner and rock arranged? is it ok to have that many rocks on a liner like that? what about punctures? Is her setup liner only or is there some kind of molded basin that is being used? Is there some kind of rule about how steep the slope must/should be....I'm really looking for a very slow moving effect instead of Niagara here. Last question...is it ok to have to rocks free standing like that(especially in a smaller setup) or are the rocks secured...concrete?

I've read quite a few pages that were suggested to me here a few weeks ago but I'd really like some expert advice/diagrams/tips/secret tips/secret decoder ring codes and anything else I can get my hands on before I put shovel to dirt.

I apologize up front for the stupid pond newbie questions

BTW rtk....that waterfall is fantastic! Thanks for the inspiration!

~Wilson~

Old 06-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Wilson

Wilson wrote in message ...
[...]

Sorry about the format.....that was unintentional

Old 06-06-2003, 09:08 PM
John Hines

"Wilson" wrote:

....what I'd like to do however is basically just have the 2x2 basin at the top and a similar size catch basin at the bottom, I don't want a pond and all the work that is involved with it and I don't want fish....I just want the feature and to have it fil

led with plants and then have a nice dry creek bed made with gray slate that someone posted here recently in regards to a Japanese garden.

I'd look into plastic storage containers. I can get a 37 gal one, dark
green, for maybe $10 at the local home center. Pretty close to 2x2
dimensions. With proper rock work, it will hide very well.

I apologize up front for the stupid pond newbie questions

Turn off html, and check your links, I got a 404 on it.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Wilson

John Hines wrote:
"Wilson" wrote:

....what I'd like to do however is basically just have the 2x2 basin
at the top and a similar size catch basin at the bottom, I don't
want a pond and all the work that is involved with it and I don't
want fish....I just want the feature and to have it filled with
plants and then have a nice dry creek bed made with gray slate that
someone posted here recently in regards to a Japanese garden.

I'd look into plastic storage containers. I can get a 37 gal one, dark
green, for maybe $10 at the local home center. Pretty close to 2x2
dimensions. With proper rock work, it will hide very well.

Tks for the suggestion.

Turn off html, and check your links, I got a 404 on it.

Already did...that's what I appoligized for The link worked for me at
home and at work shrug

~Wilson~

Old 06-06-2003, 10:56 PM
John Hines

"Wilson" wrote:

Already did...that's what I appoligized for The link worked for me at
home and at work shrug

It worked, once I cleaned up the extra html encoding, which puts an
equals sign at the end of every line, when converted to text.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:32 PM
joe

John Hines wrote:

"Wilson" wrote:

Already did...that's what I appoligized for The link worked for me at
home and at work shrug

It worked, once I cleaned up the extra html encoding, which puts an
equals sign at the end of every line, when converted to text

Ah, the unique attributes of all those browsers (I thought there were
standards!) It loaded for me just fine.

Joe

Old 07-06-2003, 05:56 PM
John Hines

joe wrote:

John Hines wrote:

"Wilson" wrote:

Already did...that's what I appoligized for The link worked for me at
home and at work shrug

It worked, once I cleaned up the extra html encoding, which puts an
equals sign at the end of every line, when converted to text

Ah, the unique attributes of all those browsers (I thought there were
standards!) It loaded for me just fine.

I don't use a browser for this, I use a text news reader.

Newsgroups have existed for a long time. I used to get them fed via
modem.