GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fish swimming in the fountain (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/30851-fish-swimming-fountain.html)

Rachel 07-06-2003 04:22 AM

Fish swimming in the fountain

We just had a really big rain storm and noticed that our mosquito
eaters are swimming in the fountain really close to the surface of the
water. The water level has risen about 5". They seem to be playing a
game or trying to get hit by the water coming down and I was wondering
if I have an aeration problem. The goldfish are on the bottom still
and seem fine.

I also just added some Algae Fix, as I do about once a week because
the algae in Florida is pretty agressive and I am always getting
blooms. But I do this all the time so I do not know how it could be
the cause for the fishes' strange behavior. Anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Rachel

[email protected] 07-06-2003 07:08 AM

Fish swimming in the fountain

check the pH of your water. it could be quite acidic. also, most algae killers have
copper in them and in acidic water copper is really toxic to fish. Ingrid

NJ 07-06-2003 11:56 PM

(Rachel) wrote:

We just had a really big rain storm and noticed that our mosquito
eaters are swimming in the fountain really close to the surface of the
water. The water level has risen about 5". They seem to be playing a
game or trying to get hit by the water coming down and I was wondering
if I have an aeration problem. The goldfish are on the bottom still
and seem fine.

I also just added some Algae Fix, as I do about once a week because
the algae in Florida is pretty agressive and I am always getting
blooms. But I do this all the time so I do not know how it could be
the cause for the fishes' strange behavior. Anyone know about this?

My comets and goldfish seem to love to swim directly under the waterfall,
and they also swim under the spray of the hose when I top off the pond. Two
of them are 3 years old, and they have never had a problem. My pond tests
out fine with ph and other levels. Maybe it's a comet/goldfish thing. I
also use AlgaeFix, but not regularly once the original spring bloom
subsides. Doubt that's the cause...my fish have always done it.

NJ