Old 09-06-2003, 08:32 AM
*muffin*

Default bullfrogs & frogs & toads etc

HOW do you tell what is a bullfrog? compared to a regular frog?

I've been reading on here how destructive bullfrogs are ( eating goldfish)

are there regular frogs & toads that are just fine?

( I did a search on 'dogpile' and found lots of bullfrog hotels, spas etc
etc,,,,,,, got tired of trying to find something on the critters..) a pic
search, showed pics of frogs,,,,,, have no idea if they were bullfrogs or
harmless ones?

Old 09-06-2003, 03:20 PM
K30a

FROGS AND TOADS FAQS

Frogs have graceful long legs and leap when they move.
Tree frogs and chorus frogs have sticky pads at the
end of their toes.
Toads are squatty and walk more than leap.

Frogs' eggs in the pond are laid in masses.
Toads' eggs in the pond are laid in strings.

ARE FROGS' AND TOADS' EGGS OKAY IN MY POND?

For the most part they are.
Fish will eat many of the frogs' eggs and their tadpoles.
Fish will spit out toad eggs and toad tadpoles as they taste
nasty.
If your pond is small and you have found a bazillion eggs
and tadpoles in there you have to beware of ammonia spikes.
So many new life forms may contribute to an ammonia spike
and overwhelm your filter.

BULLFROGS AND GREEN FROGS

The only frog who is a real danger to a pond is
the bullfrog. Bullfrogs will eat fish, and other frogs,
snakes, mice, birds, etc.

Bullfrogs are native east of the Rockies but we
have them out west also. Originally brought into
the west as a food item, bullfrogs were raised
in farm ponds from which they quickly escaped.

Bullfrogs are not welcome out west as it is feared
they are eating up native species and native tadpoles.

Bullfrogs are large frogs. Green frogs are also large.
Green frogs do not eat fish and should be allowed
to stay in the pond.

The easiest way to tell bullfrogs from green frogs
is that bullfrogs have a fold of skin that goes over
their eardrum. Green frog's fold of skin goes right
down both sides of its back.

Bullfrogs can be spotlighted at night (they are most active
at night) with a flash light and scooped up with sport fish
nets. Turn him over on his back, he will become quiet and
you can remove him from the net without injuring him.
Move him to another pond.

OTHER FROGS
Go here to ID your frog:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...rog_calls.html

k30a
Old 09-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Moontanman

and their tadpoles.
Fish will spit out toad eggs and toad tadpoles as they taste
nasty.

How do you know they taste nasty? Have you been chowing down on toad tadpoles?
(sorry I just couldn't resist ;-)

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 09-06-2003, 07:08 PM
K30a

moontanman wrote How do you know they taste nasty? Have you been chowing down
on toad tadpoles?
(sorry I just couldn't resist ;-)

Of course! They are a good source of protein!
Just put a lot of ketchup on them.

k30a
Old 09-06-2003, 07:44 PM
*muffin*

great site thanks!!!

only I guess I need BIGGER pics, I cannot 'see' any fold of skin over the
'ear' on a bullfrog eardrum, OR tell just what the green frog's fold of
skin is!! *sigh*

btw,, HOW can you scoop up the suckers?? all my 'frogs' jump into the pond
whenever we get near...

Old 09-06-2003, 08:20 PM
K30a

To catch most frogs you need a ten year
old boy...

To catch bullfrogs you need two long handled sport fishing nets.
Not the flat fish catching nets, but the deep nets with larger holes.
Wait for a warm night, spray on the bug spray and grab some
flash lights. Spotlight the frog and slowly position one net in front
of him and move the other net up behind him. Give him a bump on
his hind quarters. He ought to hop into the first net. Turn the frog over in
the net so he is on his back,
you can untangle him easily that way without injuring the frog
or yourself. Deposit frog in covered bucket. Release in a nearby
natural pond.

k30a
Old 09-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Anne Lurie

I found this site when image-googled for "green frog"
http://pond1.gladstonefamily.net:8080/pondlife.html (for all I know, the
website belongs to a regular poster to this group; however, the pictures are
large & clear).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 09-06-2003, 11:44 PM
*muffin*

wow!
wayyyyy cool

now I need to take pics of the ones in my pond..
they all look green to me..... : )

om...

Old 10-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Heather

Glad you asked this question. We had one leopard frog and two wood frogs
around our pond. Monday morning I went out to say "Good Morning" to frogs
and fish. The three resident frogs were not to be found but I found a
bigger frog in residence. Until going through this entire thread I thought
he was a bullfrog and was tempted to evict him. Now I'm not so sure. He
could be a green frog based on the pictures at
http://pond1.gladstonefamily.net:8080/pondlife.html. We will check this out
further. I really hope he is a green frog. He is beautiful with cream,
green and copper colors.

Do bullfrogs grow bigger in warmer climates? If the frog is small, does it
still eat fish, birds etc?

Thanks,
Heather

Old 10-06-2003, 08:44 PM
K30a

Heather asked
Do bullfrogs grow bigger in warmer climates?

Well, they'll get there sooner. They come out of their winter 'sleep' earlier,
have more time to chow down and get nice and plump. Body will grow to about 8
inches in length

If the frog is small, does it

still eat fish, birds etc?

Not until its mouth is big enough to stuff them in.
They will try and sometimes choke to death on trying a meal bigger than they
should.

One way to ID a frog is with binoculars. Frog isn't jumping away and you can
focus closer on their eardrum.

k30a

Old 11-06-2003, 02:32 AM
John Rutz

Heather wrote:
Glad you asked this question. We had one leopard frog and two wood frogs
around our pond. Monday morning I went out to say "Good Morning" to frogs
and fish. The three resident frogs were not to be found but I found a
bigger frog in residence. Until going through this entire thread I thought
he was a bullfrog and was tempted to evict him. Now I'm not so sure. He
could be a green frog based on the pictures at
http://pond1.gladstonefamily.net:8080/pondlife.html. We will check this out
further. I really hope he is a green frog. He is beautiful with cream,
green and copper colors.

Do bullfrogs grow bigger in warmer climates? If the frog is small, does it
still eat fish, birds etc?

Thanks,
Heather

I ;have a bullfrog in my pond he is three years old now and just 3 in

long in the body so cold frogs may grow slower

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

bullfrogs and toads Ka30P Ponds 3 18-06-2004 07:05 PM
Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is..... jammer Ponds 2 29-04-2004 01:05 AM
Toads, toads, and more toads.... Szpond Ponds 18 20-06-2003 04:35 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 07:20 PM
Frogs & Toads Anne Lurie North Carolina 2 30-05-2003 02:56 PM