Old 10-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Benign Vanilla

Default Newbie Idiot Sharing the Wealth

Sunday we had no rain so went back to the pond to play. I was disgusted by
the still orange water, so I decided to clean it. I decide to empty some
water, and ended up doing about a 75% change. In the mean time, I scooped
out 5 inches of clay from the bottom of the pond. I then slowly refilled,
thinking a slow fill would be cool, with no treatment. I am an idiot. By
today three fish have died. Their "just" feeder minnows, but they were huge,
probably the most healthy fish I have ever owned based on the their size
increase over the past month.

Newbies take note: Putting untreated city water in your pond is truely
dangerous. It's not just paranoia about chloramine, and chlorine. *sigh*
Back to square one, and the pond is still orange.

I am ready to quit.

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:08 AM
K30a

BV wrote I am ready to quit.

Oh no, you don't! We have too much
invested in this pond.
Has anyone mentioned filling a garbage can
with old clothes, cutting a hole in the bottom and filtering the water through
that to get the clay out?

k30a
Old 10-06-2003, 06:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Yeah! This does not sound like our BV at all. The BV I know is very
resourceful and would have found a way to McGyver something to clean out the
clay now!

BV, there are so many easy and quick way to filter out clay, especially
since you don't have expensive Koi yet! Clay particles are large enough to
filter easily Dude.

If you quit now I will sue you for breach of emotional contract, and have
Johnny Cochran represent me/us in a class action suit against you. What
would you prefer? Filter your pond or meet Johnny Cochran?

Is that a good enough encouragement?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 10-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Sean Dinh

Keep the mud pond. Pond doesn't have to be clear.

I had to get rid of my mud pond because my landlord and her friends did not like
it. My next project is to build 1 clear pond and 1 mud pond, 1 to satisfy my
landlord, 1 to satisfy me.

Old 10-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BV wrote I am ready to quit.

I remember someone who filtered their water through long
underwear. Can't remember who, but supposedly it worked.
In other words, you can't quit - there is a solution
somewhere. Your challenge is to find it! ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 10-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Jerrispond

Has anyone mentioned filling a garbage canwith old clothes, cutting a hole in
the bottom and filtering the waterthrough
that to get the clay out?

I had a friend who filtered algea out the same way with a garbage can, and old
fuzzy blankets....get a few at the good will if you don't have any at home.
Jerri

Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message

BV wrote I am ready to quit.

Oh no, you don't! We have too much
invested in this pond.
Has anyone mentioned filling a garbage can
with old clothes, cutting a hole in the bottom and filtering the water

through
that to get the clay out?

Funny you say that. My SO went to the Depot yesterday and bought two new
fancy garbage cans with attached lids. She was going to throw the old ones
away. I asked her not too. This Sunday, I plan to rig up a double or triple
arrangement. Fill them with something, and pump the water to them and then
let them overflow into the pond. I am hoping this can help with the clay. I
didn't think of old clothes. I was going to buy some batting like Nedra (I
think?) suggested a few weeks back. Maybe a furnace filter or two.

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Yeah! This does not sound like our BV at all. The BV I know is very
resourceful and would have found a way to McGyver something to clean out

the
clay now!

BV, there are so many easy and quick way to filter out clay, especially
since you don't have expensive Koi yet! Clay particles are large enough

filter easily Dude.

If you quit now I will sue you for breach of emotional contract, and have
Johnny Cochran represent me/us in a class action suit against you. What
would you prefer? Filter your pond or meet Johnny Cochran?

Is that a good enough encouragement?

Nuff said. Besides...the wife came home with an entire flat of 'hens and
chickens' plants last night because...get this...she knows I love them, and
she thought...*sniffle*...*choke*...she thought they'd look cool by the
pond. *sniffle* I love her, man.

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 04:46 PM
John Rutz

Benign Vanilla wrote:
Sunday we had no rain so went back to the pond to play. I was disgusted by
the still orange water, so I decided to clean it. I decide to empty some
water, and ended up doing about a 75% change. In the mean time, I scooped
out 5 inches of clay from the bottom of the pond. I then slowly refilled,
thinking a slow fill would be cool, with no treatment. I am an idiot. By
today three fish have died. Their "just" feeder minnows, but they were huge,
probably the most healthy fish I have ever owned based on the their size
increase over the past month.

Newbies take note: Putting untreated city water in your pond is truely
dangerous. It's not just paranoia about chloramine, and chlorine. *sigh*
Back to square one, and the pond is still orange.

I am ready to quit.

BV.

-- Ok BV

cant give up now
can you gert(rent) a large sump pump somewhere and pump the bottom
like K30 suggested through some old clothes or maybe a quilt bat to get
the residual clay out?

another idea someone I cant remember who had a 300 g stock tank with a
roll of airconditioner bat in it it did a real good job I found the
battin he used at a wholesaler here in alb its not expensive for a 4 ft
dia roll

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 10-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Paul in Redland

BV, can't quit now, your just getting started!

I've been meaning to ask the group this for a while: Where is Rod Farlee?
I hope we didn't chase him away with too many water quality questions.

I seem to remember Rod posting one time about suspended clay in pond water.
The clay could be precipitated out with alum, as I recall. Does this sound
familiar to anyone? I think that the hardness of the water had something to
do with it's ability to hold clay in suspension also.

BV, do a seach for water, clay, suspension, alum, precipitate etc. and maybe
you'll come up with something. Keep us posted.

Paul

Old 10-06-2003, 05:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip
cant give up now
can you gert(rent) a large sump pump somewhere and pump the bottom
like K30 suggested through some old clothes or maybe a quilt bat to get
the residual clay out?

another idea someone I cant remember who had a 300 g stock tank with a
roll of airconditioner bat in it it did a real good job I found the
battin he used at a wholesaler here in alb its not expensive for a 4 ft
dia roll

snip

The bottom is very clean now. I took care of that on my hands and knees
Sunday. What I have now is the stuff that won't come out in the water. Very
fine particles. I dosed again with Calcite to see if it would help.

As for batting...do you think the nylon stuff used for pillows would work? I
hear it's super cheap.

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:32 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
the tap water wasnt a lot colder was it? why didnt you use dechlor of

some kind?
Ingrid

The temp was nearly the same, slightly colder. Why didn't I use dechlor,
because I am an impatient idiot. I am a moron. I am a putz. I thought a slow
fill splashing over my rocks would knock plenty of the cholrine out. Did I
mention I am an idiot?

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Paul in Redland" wrote in message
BV, can't quit now, your just getting started!

I've been meaning to ask the group this for a while: Where is Rod Farlee?
I hope we didn't chase him away with too many water quality questions.

I seem to remember Rod posting one time about suspended clay in pond

water.
The clay could be precipitated out with alum, as I recall. Does this sound
familiar to anyone? I think that the hardness of the water had something

do with it's ability to hold clay in suspension also.

BV, do a seach for water, clay, suspension, alum, precipitate etc. and

maybe
you'll come up with something. Keep us posted.

Ahhh...here I know some things. Alum can be used as can Calcite. I have
tried Calcite with a little bit of a result but not much. The Calcite was
prefered because it would have less effect on pH. I have some articles I can
share on this, if anyone is interested. I just need to find them again.

I found googling with 'clay pond turbidity' to be great keywords.

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:32 PM
K30a

BV wrote As for batting...do you think the nylon stuff used for pillows would
work? I
hear it's super cheap.

As long as the water can go down through it I think it would work fine.

k30a