Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 AM
zookeeper

Default Koi Food Survey

Okay, I've googled rec.ponds and related web sites until my eyes are
blurry!!! Trying to find a concensus on what to feed our pond pigs, aka
koi. So I thought I'd try a newsgroup survey. If everyone can just
indicate the brand of food they feed, and maybe the first 3 or 4
ingredients and/or protein percentage.

I've fed mostly Wardley's koi food for six years, but the recipe seems
to have changed, and the price has skyrocketed. I'm now looking at
Miracle Koi Food because the first four ingredients are fish based. Any
one else using Miracle Koi Food (by Clearwater)?
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond pigs

Old 11-06-2003, 04:56 AM
John Rutz

zookeeper wrote:
Okay, I've googled rec.ponds and related web sites until my eyes are
blurry!!! Trying to find a concensus on what to feed our pond pigs, aka
koi. So I thought I'd try a newsgroup survey. If everyone can just
indicate the brand of food they feed, and maybe the first 3 or 4
ingredients and/or protein percentage.

I've fed mostly Wardley's koi food for six years, but the recipe seems
to have changed, and the price has skyrocketed. I'm now looking at
Miracle Koi Food because the first four ingredients are fish based. Any
one else using Miracle Koi Food (by Clearwater)?
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond pigs
Oregon

--
I m feeding Mazuri Koi pellets by Purina
mainly because of the price roughly $20 for 20 lbs

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 11-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

zookeeper wrote:
Okay, I've googled rec.ponds and related web sites until my eyes are
blurry!!! Trying to find a concensus on what to feed our pond pigs, aka
koi. So I thought I'd try a newsgroup survey. If everyone can just
indicate the brand of food they feed, and maybe the first 3 or 4
ingredients and/or protein percentage.

ter)?
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond pigs

I feed my fish KoiStuff Optimum - whole wheat, hydrolzed
(animal) protein meal, anchovy fish, soy meal. 38% protein,
2.55% fiber, 6% fat, vitamins include: A, D, E, K1, C, B1,
B2, B6, and B12

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 11-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Nedra

My Koi (and goldfish) get Pond RX ... from KoiVet.

Here are the ingredients for the Small Pellets:

Fish Meal
Wheat Flour
Soy Bean Meal
Fish Oil
Blood Meal
Feather Meal
Soy Lecithen
Etc.

Protein 40%
Lipid 14%
Fiber 5%
Ash 8%

The fish Love it!

Nedra

Old 11-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Steve J. Noll

Dainichi, color intensifier.

White fish meal
Wheat germ
Wheat flour
Shrimp meal
Spirulina

43% minimum crude protein

I need to find a new feed as this stuff's somewhat expensive and
the guys are going thru a $18, 500gm bag every 3 weeks now!

One thing I like about it is that besides the usual vitamins and
minerals it contains montmorillonite clay (i.e.: "Koi clay"). I'd
rather "apply" the koi clay this way so it'll do the most good for the
fish than just dump it in the pond. Does any other Koi food have
this?

2500 gallons, 8 Butterfly pigs.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)

Old 12-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Paul in Redland

Ultra Balance

http://www.koifood.com/

About $1.50 a lb depending on the size.

Paul

Old 12-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Tom La Bron

Zookeeper,

Before they came out with Sho-Gold (Sho-Gold is for Goldfish) I used
Sho-KOI, which is an extremely good food. Fish seem to relish it and it is
a good growth food also when feed in proper portions.

Tom L.L.
-------------------------

Old 12-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Jerrispond

I m feeding Mazuri Koi pellets by Purina
mainly because of the price roughly $20 for 20 lbs

I have been feeding that for years, and have very large healthy koi
Jerri

Old 12-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Jerrispond

5.50 per lb, 110 bucks for 33 pound bag ...

That costs more than the food I feed my family.....No can do!!! Jerri

Old 12-06-2003, 06:56 PM

Not sure which Ogata she is selling. She said the pellets were large. Compare it to
Mizuri.
there are at least 3 different Ogata foods
Ogata Performance
???
Ogata Special Regular
White fish meal, wheat germ meal, krill meal, Soya bean mill, Alfalfa meal, yeast,
garlic, ox bile powder, chitin (Chitosan), vitamins, stabilized vitamin C, minerals,
powdered milk, etc...
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Min. 36%
Crude Fat Min. 3%
Crude Fiber Max. 5%
Ash Max. 12%
Moisture Max. 9%
Ingredients
Ogata Regular
White fish meal, wheat germ meal, krill meal, Soya bean mill, Alfalfa meal, yeast,
garlic, ox bile powder, chitin (Chitosan), vitamins, stabilized vitamin C, minerals,
powdered milk, etc...
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Min. 38%
Crude Fat Min. 3%
Crude Fiber Max. 6%
Ash Max. 12%
Moisture Max. 9%
-----------------------------------
Here is the Mizuri
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein not less than 36.0%
Crude fat not less than 3.0%
Crude fiber not more than 6.0%
Phosphorus not less than 0.90%
Ash not more than 9.0%
Vitamin E not less than 110 IU/kg
Vitamin C not less than 2000 ppm
Ingredients
Dehulled soybean meal, ground corn, fish meal, corn gluten meal, wheat middlings,
wheat germ, calcium carbonate, dehydrated alfalfa meal, salt,
L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), brewers dried yeast, spirulina
algae meal, betaine, dicalcium phosphate, biotin, tagetes extract, choline chloride,
vitamin A acetate, canthaxanthin, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (source of natural
vitamin E), cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine
hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin (source of vitamin B12), menadione dimethylpyrimidinol
bisulfite (source of vitamin K), ethoxyquin (a preservative), thiamin mononitrate,
nicotinic acid, folic acid, riboflavin, DL-methionine, manganous oxide, zinc oxide,
ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate,
sodium selenite.

zookeeper wrote:

wrote:
I get Ogata from Jo Ann.
1-251-649-4790
white fish meal, krill, spirulina, wheat germ soy bean alfalfa, yeast garlic vitamins
38% protein
5.50 per lb, 110 bucks for 33 pound bag ...

I looked at Ogata, but the list of ingredients I saw had wheat germ as
the second ingredient and soy bean meal as the fourth ingredient (White
fish meal, wheat germ meal, krill meal, Soya bean mill, Alfalfa meal,
yeast, garlic, ox bile powder, chitin (Chitosan), vitamins, etc). I had
previously read that it's best to use feed where fish / shrimp / protein
comprise the first 3-4 ingredients. See, this is exactly the kind of
thing that confuses me. :-/

Old 12-06-2003, 10:56 PM
MLF

"Jerrispond" wrote:
I m feeding Mazuri Koi pellets by Purina
mainly because of the price roughly $20 for 20 lbs

I have been feeding that for years, and have very large healthy koi

Jerri:

Where do you get Mazuri Koi pellets for that price? Better yet, where can I?

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 12-06-2003, 11:09 PM
John Rutz

MLF wrote:
"Jerrispond" wrote:

I m feeding Mazuri Koi pellets by Purina
mainly because of the price roughly $20 for 20 lbs

I have been feeding that for years, and have very large healthy koi

Jerri:

Where do you get Mazuri Koi pellets for that price? Better yet, where can I?

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

check with farm stores or any feed dealer who handles purina and see if
the y will order you a bag
if I remember right their website is
www.mazuri.com