Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 AM
*muffin*

Default are these bullfrogs

OK,, got pics of 2 frogs in my pond.
frog #1 I 'think' is a bullfrog,, please tell me that I am wrong!!!
we have NOT seen him exit from the pond,, he just swims around.

http://community.webshots.com/album/74707665onrGAN

Old 11-06-2003, 05:08 AM
K30a

The first picture is a bullfrog.
The second picture might be a green frog.
But can't see enough of him to tell.

k30a
Old 11-06-2003, 06:20 AM
*muffin*

*&^%$$#^(*&!!!!!!

ok, any ideas on HOW to catch the critter if he doesn't exit the pond?

we tried the flashlight thing.. he just looked at us & then turned away &
swam...

muffin has a bunch of feeder goldfish.............
hmmph

Old 11-06-2003, 07:31 AM
K30a

we tried the flashlight thing.. he just looked at us & then turned away &
swam...

Then you must try Brett from Texas solution. Consume a six pack of beer, it
helps you think like a frog.

If you spotlight him he shouldn't be able to see you, but did he hear you?

Only my youngest son has been able to catch bullfrogs around here. DH and I
caught only one once and it was a female. We were looking for males to cut down
on the racket.

k30a
Old 11-06-2003, 07:56 AM
*muffin*

If you spotlight him he shouldn't be able to see you, but did he hear you?

I don't think so,,we made more noise turning the flashlight on,, & while it
was on him, deciding what 'we' should do next,, he turned & swam away.
my son-in-law wanted to get the bbgun,, but I am sure it is NOT good for a
liner!!
& I am sure sneaking up on him, you can't be silent!
arrghhhhhhh...

but we see him all day long, swimming around & hovering out of reach,, they
do something different at night?
( of course why would he want to leave the pond,, sooo nice & tasty
ready-to-eat meals there!

Muffin now knows why at our old house we never had babies around,,,,,,,
bullfrogs got 'em!!

Old 11-06-2003, 08:08 AM
K30a

they
do something different at night?

they hunt at night. during the day the mostly doze and soak up rays - important
for their metabolism as they need heat in order to function and why in the
winter they are not active, all temperature driven.
If you get a cold snap he might slow down a bit for you.

k30a
Old 11-06-2003, 09:20 AM
zookeeper

K30a wrote:
they
do something different at night?

they hunt at night. during the day the mostly doze and soak up rays - important
for their metabolism as they need heat in order to function and why in the
winter they are not active, all temperature driven.
If you get a cold snap he might slow down a bit for you.

Okay, time for me to go to bed. I'm picturing muffin and DH floating ice
blocks in her pond to cool it enough to slow down that frog. ;-)
--
zookeeper

Old 11-06-2003, 09:56 AM
REBEL JOE

I love bullfrogs keeps all the babies in check,and won't bother the big
koi

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 11-06-2003, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"*muffin*" wrote in message
OK,, got pics of 2 frogs in my pond.
frog #1 I 'think' is a bullfrog,, please tell me that I am wrong!!!
we have NOT seen him exit from the pond,, he just swims around.

http://community.webshots.com/album/74707665onrGAN

That second picture cracked me.

"Stay very still and they won't see me."

BV.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Hank Pagel

When I was a kid ....... many years ago and before political
correctness ..... we used to catch bull frogs with long fishing poles
and trout flies. Dangle the fly in front of the frog and gulp. Don't
be surprised at the god-awful sound they make when you grab them. Your
neighbors may think you are slaughtering cattle. Now that I am older
........ not necessarily wiser ...... it doesn't seem like the most
humane thing to do, but it did work and we never had one swallow the
hook. Always hooked in the very edge of lip. I hope this post does not
offend anyone. It just depends on how desperate you are to cull your
bull frog herd.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Heather

I guess it really depends on the point of view. How humane is it to feed
extra fish to bigger fish. Getting eaten alive can't be fun for the little
guys. However it is the way nature works. Only humans try to save every
life. Guppies will live birth their babies then turn around and eat them.
That's gotta be the ultimate in recycling!

Old 12-06-2003, 06:08 AM
GD

They are, indeed, bullfrogs. They can be "trapped". Use short pieces
(12-18") of 4" diameter PVC piping. Cap one end, and place in about
1" of water (set it on a block, etc.), in or near vegetation if
possible. Make sure the open end faces the pond, and is in a position
that is easy for you to place a net over. Frogs adore cover, and will
use the pipe for hiding during the day.

bullfrogs and toads Ka30P Ponds 3 18-06-2004 07:05 PM
Bullfrogs Wayne Ponds 0 01-05-2004 04:07 AM
two young bullfrogs [email protected] Ponds 7 25-04-2004 07:04 PM
bullfrogs & frogs & toads etc *muffin* Ponds 10 11-06-2003 02:32 AM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 07:20 PM