Old 12-06-2003, 07:30 AM
steetsel

Default Small Pond Question

First, I'd like to thank those of you who share/post pictures of your ponds!
Some great designs and lots of hard work!

I just bought a house a few months ago that had a pond. The pond was put in
last year, but not done right. The sides and bottom were lined with
hundreds of large river rocks, there was no filter or pump in place. So, it
was literally a giant bowl of stagnant water. Yuck! We basically took it
apart and put in a small, pre-formed pond (about 100 gallons). I have a
pump for it that provides a fountain and/or waterfall.

Anyways, my question is this - right after filling it, we got a bunch of
dirt blown into the pond (we have dirt around the pond now, which will soon
be used to plant flowers, etc), which has accumulated on the bottom. Is
there anything I can use to easily remove the dirt? For this size pond (100
gallons), do I need a filter of some sort? The intake on my pump has a
"filter" that captures debris, but I don't think it is real efficient.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Scott

Old 12-06-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"steetsel" wrote in message
snip
Anyways, my question is this - right after filling it, we got a bunch of
dirt blown into the pond (we have dirt around the pond now, which will

soon
be used to plant flowers, etc), which has accumulated on the bottom. Is
there anything I can use to easily remove the dirt? For this size pond

(100
gallons), do I need a filter of some sort? The intake on my pump has a
"filter" that captures debris, but I don't think it is real efficient.

snip

Is the dirt suspended in the water or is it sinking to the bottom? If at the
bottom, you can shop vac it out or scoop it by hand out of the water. If it
is suspended, I feel your pain. I am dealing with an orange pond myself.

BV.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Scott Teetsel

Is the dirt suspended in the water or is it sinking to the bottom? If at

the
bottom, you can shop vac it out or scoop it by hand out of the water. If

it
is suspended, I feel your pain. I am dealing with an orange pond myself.

BV.

No, the dirst is mostly at the bottom. I have had some small leaves and
pollen and such collect on top of the water,

Is it a good idea to throw some gravel on the bottom of the pond, for visual
purposes, but also perhaps to disguise the dirt somewhat?

Scott

Old 12-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Bob

BV - Have you tried getting one of those fine mesh bags from Aquaticeco? I
beleive they come in sizes all the way down to 1 micron.

--

Take ME away to reply

See my webpage at:
Http://Trains99.tripod.com
Click on the My Pond button on the left.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 12-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Sue Alexandre

Hi, Scott:
I have a large koi/plant pond (4000 gallons) that this would never work for,
but I also have a small, (150 gallon) turtle pond that was accumulating a
lot of dirt during the initial set-up. I use a shop vac to suck out the
dirt that settles to the bottom...... works fine.
Sue

Old 12-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Scott Teetsel

Sue, thanks for the help. Do you think a filter is needed to help keep the
water clean, for this size pond?

Scott

Old 12-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Sue Alexandre

Depends, Scott. Is it going to have fish/wildlife in it or just plants?
Is it in full sun, or does it get some shade? If it's in a spot that gets
a lot of sun, and if you're going to throw a few fish in (which I think we
all end up doing eventually!) You'll probably want a filter to keep it
clear. But go back and read some of the old posts about D-I-Y filters....
it would be easy enough (and cheap enough) to just rig something up on your
own, rather than buying one. Something as simple as poking holes in a
small plastic container, wrapping the pump in quilt batting, and sticking it
in the plastic box!
Sue

Old 12-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Scott Teetsel

It does get a fair amount of shade. We are definitely going to put some
plants in and probably eventually throw a few fish in there as well. I had
read somewhere about some homemade filters, but couldn't find them last
night. I will go back and search some old posts again.

Again, thanks for the help.

Old 12-06-2003, 07:21 PM
BenignVanilla

Is the dirt suspended in the water or is it sinking to the bottom? If at

the
bottom, you can shop vac it out or scoop it by hand out of the water. If

it
is suspended, I feel your pain. I am dealing with an orange pond myself.

BV.

No, the dirst is mostly at the bottom. I have had some small leaves and
pollen and such collect on top of the water,

Is it a good idea to throw some gravel on the bottom of the pond, for

visual
purposes, but also perhaps to disguise the dirt somewhat?

I have had much success with getting in the pond, and just scooping the dirt
out with my hands. Others have used a shop vac.

Gravel is a bad idea, as it can become a huge maintenance item. The mulm
will collect there and begin to break down poisoning the water space above
the pebbles. You would need to keep it stirred up and agitated to prevent
build up of poisonous gases.

BV.

Old 12-06-2003, 07:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bob" wrote in message
BV - Have you tried getting one of those fine mesh bags from Aquaticeco?

beleive they come in sizes all the way down to 1 micron.

snip

I haven't tried that. If this McGyver attempt fails, I may just do that.

BV.

Old 13-06-2003, 01:56 AM
GrampysGurl

Depends, Scott. Is it going to have fish/wildlife in it or just plants?
Is it in full sun, or does it get some shade? If it's in a spot that gets
a lot of sun, and if you're going to throw a few fish in (which I think we
all end up doing eventually!) You'll probably want a filter to keep it
clear. But go back and read some of the old posts about D-I-Y filters....
it would be easy enough (and cheap enough) to just rig something up on your
own, rather than buying one. Something as simple as poking holes in a
small plastic container, wrapping the pump in quilt batting, and sticking it
in the plastic box!
Sue

Only a couple fish, lots of plants, good surface coverage no filter would be
needed at all.
Colleen
Old 13-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Scott Teetsel

Only a couple fish, lots of plants, good surface coverage no filter would
be
needed at all.
Colleen

The water wouldn't get cloudy or murky with stuff blowing in, etc?

Anyways, anyone know of a good place to research everything you need to know
about ponds? Also, how do I access previous posts in here? I can only go
back a few days.

Thanks! Scot

Old 13-06-2003, 05:08 AM
John Rutz

Scott Teetsel wrote:
Only a couple fish, lots of plants, good surface coverage no filter would

be

needed at all.
Colleen

The water wouldn't get cloudy or murky with stuff blowing in, etc?

Anyways, anyone know of a good place to research everything you need to know
about ponds? Also, how do I access previous posts in here? I can only go
back a few days.

Thanks! Scot

--

you can google rec.ponds and go back a couple years

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Small pond question... [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 15 19-01-2006 07:59 AM
Small pond question... Koi-lo Ponds 0 15-01-2006 06:40 PM
Newbie question: Small filter for small pond? angel toledo Ponds 4 22-04-2005 06:18 PM
green pond, 1 small question. Superkitt Ponds 3 30-08-2003 06:42 PM
small pond filtration Melissa Ponds 3 04-02-2003 08:58 PM