Old 12-06-2003, 11:56 PM
John Rutz

Default Ingrid re Hydrogen peroxide dip

I was busy catching the fish while all this was happening I found out
just now that the ones helping with the dipping left the fish in longer
than the 10 seconds I think maybe up to 30 seconds

would that have any adverse effect?
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 13-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Tom La Bron

John,

A more effective procedure that doesn't require quick dipping is using the
3% H2O2 that you all ready have and putting in to a container with a
concentration of 17.5 ml H2O2 per liter of water and dipping the fish for 10
minutes. This particular procedure is recommended by vets and
aquaculturists in the field of fish care and is easier to manage.

The procedure that Ingrid is suggesting has not been proven to be effective
by any scientific study and there are certainly no authoritative write ups
on the procedure outside of Ingrid saying that it works.

In fact, both Noga and other vets say that the concentrations used in
Ingrid's procedure can be fatal.

Oh, to answer you question H2O2 can "burn" the gills of the fish if too high
a concentration is used.

HTH

Tom L.L.

Old 13-06-2003, 06:08 AM
John Rutz

Tom La Bron wrote:
John,

In fact, both Noga and other vets say that the concentrations used in
Ingrid's procedure can be fatal.

Oh, to answer you question H2O2 can "burn" the gills of the fish if too high
a concentration is used.

HTH

the concentration was ok it was the timing hopefully they will
recover in a day or two
what I have been able to find out on google
I think it is similar to a amonia burn to the gills and they can survive
that with good water and time

Old 14-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Tom La Bron

John,

If the damage has already been done a good help to the fish is to add Vit C
to the water. It is very effective in helping fish that have had Brown
Blood Disease or have been burnt by ammonia. A while ago, it was a
technique that was you had to watch very carefully because the Vit C can
turn the water acidic, unless you had a very good biofilter and good KH in
the tank or pond. The gentleman that perfected this technique is an
aquaculturist and a scientist, of course, he also produced a Non-Acidic Vit
C to use in the aquarium, but now that Ester-C is on the market and at a
reasonable price it is easier to implement. If you are interested drop me a
line and I will give you my special URL to read about it. I suggested this
technique to a friend in Great Britain that had rescued some fish that were
suffering badly from Brown Blood Disease and it worked wonderfully. Also in
the mean time make sure you have plenty of air going into the tank where the
injured fish are being held.

Tom L.L.
"John Rutz" wrote in message

John,

Old 15-06-2003, 06:08 PM

I dont know. Jo Ann's is for GF, these are koi. The flukes are the same and are
killed after 10 seconds in this dip. I would say if you didnt see any wobbling
afterwards or piping at the top then they are probably fine. even 3% salt can makes
some fish wobble. For toasted gills Jo Ann recommends Polyaqua, and expensive
addition to a pond. Ingrid

Old 15-06-2003, 06:20 PM

Jo Ann does scientific trials, she does controlled experiments. She has given her
notes and information to the person she collaborates with at the U of Florida
aquaculture institute or whatever. I am not sure when or where this will be
published. I think Jo Ann came up with this because she has so many fish she has to
get em done fast. Like I said, she found this concentration killed the flukes and
didnt harm the GF in the least.
What you are fighting is tough stuff. call her. Ingrid

Old 16-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Snooze

"Tom La Bron" wrote in message
John,

The gentleman that perfected this technique is an
aquaculturist and a scientist, of course, he also produced a Non-Acidic

Vit
C to use in the aquarium, but now that Ester-C is on the market and at a
reasonable price it is easier to implement.

Got to wonder how they made vitamin c to be "non-acidic", considering that
vitamin c IS an acid, namely ascorbic acid...

Sameer