Old 26-06-2003, 02:20 AM
zookeeper

Default catfish food for koi :-)

John Rutz wrote:
I visited a Large pond a few years ago at a resort that had several 36"
+ carp that did quite well on popcorn, that was all they were being fed

That may be all they "were being fed," but I'm sure they were finding
plenty of other things to eat in that pond: algae, plants, larvae,
insects, small pond "critters," caviar, etc.
--
Kathy B
Zone 6

Old 26-06-2003, 03:34 AM
John Rutz

zookeeper wrote:
John Rutz wrote:

I visited a Large pond a few years ago at a resort that had several
36" + carp that did quite well on popcorn, that was all they were
being fed

That may be all they "were being fed," but I'm sure they were finding
plenty of other things to eat in that pond: algae, plants, larvae,
insects, small pond "critters," caviar, etc.
--
Kathy B
Zone 6

oh yea true but I meant human introduced food :-) the resort was in the
middle of the arizona/nevada desert and they had several hundred carp
in it
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 26-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Gary Woods

zookeeper wrote:

That may be all they "were being fed," but I'm sure they were finding
plenty of other things to eat in that pond: algae, plants, larvae,
insects, small pond "critters," caviar, etc.

I have a sole koi that had been my wife's but got too big for a 55-gallon
tank. Purchased at a pet store at maybe 3" long. He now lives in a
bass-infested 3/4 acre earth pond. Markings much more clear than when he
lived indoors. He's approaching 3 feet long, and acts like he owns the
joint. I don't feed at all, but there's plenty of algae, larvae, and
things best left unmentioned in there. Thankfully hardy water lilies and
lotus are too tough for Walter.

Old 21-04-2017, 06:45 AM
Registered User

This is an interesting thread.

I would like to know if the people who posted to this thread in 2003 are still around and would let me know how the cat fish food worked out for them, VS the people who fed their koi, koi food.

One of the reasons i revived this thread is that I picked up a 40lb bag of Catfish and pond fish food manufactured by Cargil for about $18.00 to try out over the Rangen 25lb I get for $48.00

The posts about catfish outliving carp & koi must have been made before Google was invented because it turns out that catfish can live up to 60 years vs Koi that have an average lifespan of 20-30 years (Provided that the koi pond is not in Japan).

I compared the bag of catfish feed to Rangen and the catfish feed was at 32% protein and Rangen was 36%. The feeds are pretty close to identical other than I use a 3/16 - 4.8mm sized pellet from Rangen, and the Cargil feed is about twice the diameter

So anyway,
This thread is revived!!!

How many of you had koi die from eating catfish food vs the people who fed theirs koi food? (This should be interesting).
Old 30-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Registered User

Thank you for reviving this thread. I haven't tried catfish food before so I'm also eager to know. '

Maybe the owner of this thread can let us know. Please..