Old 14-06-2003, 08:44 AM
zookeeper

Default Floating Clumps of Flourescent Green Algae - Lee

--mid posted--

Lee Brouillet wrote:
I've got to shorten this post, or it will get out of hand and I won't be
able to follow it any more.

Here's another problem: my water source (water utility) changed to
chloramine a year ago. It's been giving me fits with my water changes.
Although they're only supposed to be adding 3 ppm, they've added as much as
*9* ppm, which puts my ammonia and nitrItes off the chart. When I get them
in control, my nitrAtes are completely skewed. I don't know HOW high they
are right now, as my chart only goes to 160 ppm, but it's higher than that.
Also, they've started adding phosphate for some unknown reason. And now I
have the bloom.

Lee, have you tried adding potash? (You are going to have real soup in
that pond if you add / remove / test everything we suggest, sorry.) I
just ran across Hal's suggestion below in another thread. Maybe that's
what you need for your plants to use the phosphates.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper

When the water hyacinths begin to turn pale and draw nutrients from old
leaves add Muriate of Potash at the rate of 1oz per 1,000 gallons.
(Plants must have potash to use phosphates.)

Magnesium deficiency shows same symptoms add 1 oz Epsom Salts per 1,000
gallons.

Hal