Old 14-06-2003, 11:20 PM
graham

Default plecostomus (ALege Eater)

I have a friend that wants to give me a plecostomus, it is about 6 years old
and is 7inch long, I have never seen one live that long or get that big.
Do you think it will survive in my pond?

Old 14-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Denise

Do you live in a warm year-round climate?

I have seen HUGE plecos but only in heated aquariums...

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 15-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

He will have problems below 60 degrees. At fifty, he croaks! He will grow,
but will not help the algae much. We put some 3" plecos on one time. Grew
to 8" by the end of summer. We chased them with a net, goggles and swim
fins to save them in the fall. Got 3 of 4 out before winter. They made 15"
by the end of their lives. Easier to catch when older and bigger. They
slow down in the cool. Put 'em in if you can catch them later. Once they
are big, they eat junk, but little algae.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 16-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Scooter

They are very cool to have in the ponds, but WILL DEFINITELY need to
be taken out at the end of summer. I have had big ones suck to the
back of my turltes shells and ride around. Looks hilarious but the
turtles hate it!!
Scooter

Old 21-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Roger Grady

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote:

He will have problems below 60 degrees. At fifty, he croaks! He will grow,
but will not help the algae much. We put some 3" plecos on one time. Grew
to 8" by the end of summer. We chased them with a net, goggles and swim
fins to save them in the fall. Got 3 of 4 out before winter. They made 15"
by the end of their lives. Easier to catch when older and bigger. They
slow down in the cool. Put 'em in if you can catch them later. Once they
are big, they eat junk, but little algae.

I have 2 plecos that get to spend 4-5 months in the pond (zone 5, N.
Central Indiana), the rest of the time in the house (in a 20 gal.
aquarium that's getting a bit small for them). They're starting their
3rd summer and are about 8" long - they were 2-3" when I got them.
When I take them out in the fall, they're both down in the deep part
next to the pump, where I assume it's a bit warmer. They're pretty
easy to catch then, actually easier than when I net them out of their
winter home in the spring.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

"Shark" Algae Eater? stricks760 Ponds 2 02-02-2004 10:02 PM
Clematis eater Kostas Kavoussanakis United Kingdom 3 22-05-2003 09:20 AM
cold water algae eater JohnDoe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
Chinese Algae Eater Mike K Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:15 AM
cold water algae eater JohnDoe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 26-02-2003 02:44 PM