GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   goldfish think they are salmon??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/32364-goldfish-think-they-salmon.html)

*muffin* 16-06-2003 08:00 PM

goldfish think they are salmon???

ok, I turned on the pump to our waterfall & stream,, ( its not running,
because of other reasons)(so I could dissolve salt)

anyway,, an hour later I see a bunch of goldfish swimming against the
current.. like , they were trying to be salmon swimming up stream! or like
they were swimming against their OWN private wave/current pool.

ok, why do they do this? they think they are going somewhere?? seems like
they would get pretty darn tired after a while.

Brian Watson 16-06-2003 08:00 PM

"*muffin*" wrote in message
ok, I turned on the pump to our waterfall & stream,, ( its not running,
because of other reasons)(so I could dissolve salt)

anyway,, an hour later I see a bunch of goldfish swimming against the
current.. like , they were trying to be salmon swimming up stream! or like
they were swimming against their OWN private wave/current pool.

ok, why do they do this? they think they are going somewhere?? seems like
they would get pretty darn tired after a while.

Swim downstream in a pond and you pretty soon hit the wall.

:-)

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Hank Pagel 16-06-2003 08:00 PM

goldfish think they are salmon???

Like a dog with his head out the window of a car. The water flowing
across the gills probably feels good. My fish do it to the hose spray
every time I top off the pond.

Lee Brouillet 16-06-2003 08:01 PM

goldfish think they are salmon???

It's Fun! It's Exercise (who wants fat goldfish???)! It's something to do!
Let them have their fun. . .

Lee

Sue Alexandre 16-06-2003 08:01 PM

goldfish think they are salmon???

Yes, I love watching mine "play" in the hose. The little ones really get
thrown quite a ways back sometimes, but always come back for more. I think
it's like a "fish amusement park" for them, complete with rides.
Sue

Anne Lurie 16-06-2003 10:08 PM

goldfish think they are salmon???

I thought it was something genetic in the fish, hanging out "downstream"
waiting for the food to show up! Well, that's how it seems to work with
trout in a stream -- they hang out behind rocks, etc. waiting for the
yummies to come to them.

My little goldfish certainly are attracted by the water wand when I'm
topping off the water garden/dog drinking fountain/tennis ball washer.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Susan H. Simko 25-06-2003 06:32 PM

*muffin* wrote:

anyway,, an hour later I see a bunch of goldfish swimming against the
current.. like , they were trying to be salmon swimming up stream! or like
they were swimming against their OWN private wave/current pool.

My fish in my pond(s) do this as do the fish in my aquariums. Goldfish,
Koi, tropicals - they all seem to do it. I always thought of it as a
water massage for fish.

Susan - who just finished putting in the pond at my new house
http://152.3.63.1/pond2_sm.jpg
shsimko at duke dot edu