GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Normal behaviour for newts ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/32401-normal-behaviour-newts.html)

James Cook 16-06-2003 10:08 PM

Normal behaviour for newts ?

I've had newts in the ponds for a few years. I've never really seen them in
the height of the day - today however I spotted one in the grass in the pond
margin. He was all bloated and belly up - not dead though, he kept trying to
get himself under the surface. Some pics......

http://mugsyandsparky.users.btopenwo...oated_newt.htm

Does anyone know anything about newts ? Is this normal behaviour ?

It was hot in Essex btw, 28 celsius. Loads of frogs all round the edges
cooling off.

K30a 16-06-2003 10:20 PM

Normal behaviour for newts ?

I'm afraid he's done for.
I had a salamander once who carried on in
an odd fashion before he died.
I'd worry he's in pain.
Here's a solution recommended by one rec.ponder for easing critters into the
next life.
~~~use some clove oil (amount depends on number of fish/water) mixed with
just enough rubbing alcohol to dissolve it (1/2 teaspoon). Place fish in
bucket with just enough water to barely cover them, add the mix. They should
die really quick, within seconds.~~~~~~~~~~~

hope that helps.
and btw very nice pond in the pictures!

k30a