Old 16-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Ned Hart

Default Ducklings hatched in courtyard, will they live on grass alone?

Hello

I am working for a customer with a large courtyard. There is no pond
or source of water. The only water comes from puddles left after it
rains and runoff from AC condensation that exits through a rubber
hose. The only thing that grows here is grass. The canadian geese
that hatched a few weeks ago seem to be doing fine, they are
constantly eating grass and have grown, but today I saw two very young
duckings straying pretty far from their mother and they looked feeble.
They were pecking at the grass but not pulling any of it. One of
them was even pecking at goose droppings. I am wondering if they can
live on grass like the geese, and if not, if there is something I can
give them to eat. Any ideas?
Old 16-06-2003, 11:20 PM
K30a

nedhart I am wondering if they can
live on grass like the geese, and if not, if there is something I can
give them to eat. Any ideas?

No, they can't live on grass alone. They need bugs!

Here is a good explanation of duck nutrtition

"Newly hatched ducklings feed almost exclusively on invertebrates. This
includes everything from earthworms to small crustaceans, snails, and insect
larvae and adults. Invertebrates provide a concentrated source of protein and
fat required by a rapidly growing animal. By the time ducklings are about 2
weeks old, or one-quarter grown, they begin to consume a diet that is more
adult like. In some species this is still mostly invertebrates; in others, it
is mostly plant matter. Invertebrate availability influences where a hen will
take her brood. Very often people find a mallard nest close to a particular
wetland and then are concerned because the eggs hatched, but the brood never
appeared on their wetland. Many folks think that this means that something
killed the ducklings, but in many cases it simply means that the hen took the
brood to another wetland that had richer invertebrate resources. Such wetlands
may be as far as 3 miles away from the nest. The ducklings don't have to feed
while they are hiking to the "brood pond" because they have a "yolk sack" that
contains the remainder of the egg yolk. The yolk sack contains enough nutrient
reserves to keep the ducklings going for about 3 days after they hatch. The
need for invertebrates also explains why very young broods are seldom seen on
large lakes. Because water levels are relatively stable on such lakes,
nutrients do not recycle rapidly enough to support the large invertebrate
populations required by broods. Also, such lakes are likely to hold fish
populations that may compete with ducklings for the limited invertebrates
available there. This is one reason that shallow marshes are so valuable to
waterfowl production."

From http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/help/faq/birds/duckseat.htm

k30a
Old 17-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Lori

live on grass like the geese, and if not, if there is something I can
give them to eat. Any ideas?

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT feed them!

You need to read the DNR site that deals with your area. There are
laws concerning Canadian Geese.

Lori

Old 17-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Lori

I believe Ned is talking about ducklings.

He spoke of Canadian Geese having ducklings, didn't he? I don't have
the post now to check.... if I am wrong about what I thought, my
apologies.

Old 17-06-2003, 09:08 AM
John Hines

Lori wrote:

I believe Ned is talking about ducklings.

He spoke of Canadian Geese having ducklings, didn't he? I don't have
the post now to check.... if I am wrong about what I thought, my
apologies.

No, there are Canada Geese doing ok, but two ducklings, which are not
doing too well.
Old 17-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Ned Hart

It's the ducklings, and there is no way for them to get out. The
courtyard is closed in on four sides by buildings. So they're stuck
with whatever they can find, which is cement and grass. I will use
the information provided here to try to feed them.

Thanks

Old 17-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Lori

Ned,

It's the ducklings, and there is no way for them to get out. The
courtyard is closed in on four sides by buildings. So they're stuck
with whatever they can find, which is cement and grass. I will use
the information provided here to try to feed them.

To be honest, you should try to catch them and take them to a
rehabilitator.

Barring that, fix them a place where the geese can't get into, and
feed them cracked corn, and bread chunks.

Lori
Old 17-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Bob Adkins

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:32:13 -0500, John Hines wrote:

Lori wrote:

I believe Ned is talking about ducklings.

He spoke of Canadian Geese having ducklings, didn't he? I don't have
the post now to check.... if I am wrong about what I thought, my
apologies.

No, there are Canada Geese doing ok, but two ducklings, which are not
doing too well.

he little guys need protein or they will die quick. Feed them ASAP. Turtle
and fish food will do in a pinch until you can get some duck chow. T

Bob

Old 17-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Bob Adkins

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:42:46 -0500, Lori wrote:

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT feed them!

You need to read the DNR site that deals with your area. There are
laws concerning Canadian Geese.

The subjects was ducks, not geese.

However, I am appalled at your advice about the geese. If I see a starving
baby animal, the laws can go to the devil. What kind of law would kill an
animal it was written to protect? Sometimes you must ignore the letter of
the law and do the right thing.

Bob
Old 17-06-2003, 01:56 PM
The Madd Hatter

I believe the confusion has to do with nomenclature..... Ducks have
ducklings..... Geese have "Goslings"

Cheers!

Old 17-06-2003, 01:56 PM
The Madd Hatter

If they are trapped in the courtyard, then they definitely have a
problem... They would have depleted the food source the parents were
banking on by now.... Usually this is when they start moving around to
other areas... I shouldknow, I had to sit for 10 min in my car
yesteday in the middle of a street in an industrial complex for a pair
of geese w/ about 19 goslings to cross the street... Very Cute!

I'd go w/ the turtle or fish food like oneofthe other NG members
suggested for now, but call animal servicesin your areato have them
removed to an appropriate spot... They won't develop properly ifthey
are enclosed like that...

Old 17-06-2003, 08:56 PM
jammer

Starter and grower food. Chicken chow is often deadly to ducks and
geese. Get some and throw it over the fence. They have big appetites
right now.
Old 17-06-2003, 09:08 PM
jammer

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:44:50 -0500, Bob Adkins
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:42:46 -0500, Lori wrote:

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT feed them!

You need to read the DNR site that deals with your area. There are
laws concerning Canadian Geese.

The subjects was ducks, not geese.

However, I am appalled at your advice about the geese. If I see a starving
baby animal, the laws can go to the devil. What kind of law would kill an
animal it was written to protect? Sometimes you must ignore the letter of
the law and do the right thing.

Bob

I rehabilitate wild orphaned birds or just raise fallen babies. If i
didn't go against the law, i would have dead hawks several times a
year, for i am forbidden to care for them without a Birds of Prey
Liscence. I will never turn my back on anything in need of help.