GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mosquito Traps and Koi Ponds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/32561-mosquito-traps-koi-ponds.html)

Matt Rosing 25-06-2003 04:20 AM

Mosquito Traps and Koi Ponds

The tree-hugger in me, no matter how small, has a knee-jerk reaction that
any device designed to sit there and burn fossil fuels 24/7 is a bad thing.

Not to mention your water pump ;) It's really not that much energy.
Better to be pound wise and penny foolish and ride your bike to work
one day to cover the entire yearly expense of not getting chewed on for
a whole year.

I dunno. I'll step down off my soap box now, my propane deck heater needs to
be adjusted. *sigh*

Barbara2245 25-06-2003 03:44 PM

Mosquito Traps and Koi Ponds

"Richard C. Eberhardt" wrote in message ...
I live in the Chicago area. Even before I had a pond in my backyard, we had
a real problem with mosquitoes in the evenings. We regularly would be
driven inside the house at dusk.

Now that we have two ponds, the situation has not really changed. I check
the corners of the pond and the areas between boarder rocks regularly for
larvae, but don't really find any. I believe that the mosquitoes are coming
from another area of the block, particularly my rear neighbor's yard.

Lately, I have read about devices such as the "Mosquito Magnet" which
produce a plume of carbon dioxide to mimic mammal respiration. When the
mosquitoes follow the plume back to its source, a vacuum sucks them into a
trap.

I am considering this for my yard. I wonder if any ponders have experience
with this type of technology. It seems to be safe, but I am concerned that
the CO2 could settle over the pond and interfere with fish respiration.

Your neighborhood aparently has a lot of bushes and pine trees as my
acre yard has. Last year we had a horrible mosquito crop and couldn't
stay out side long. The pines and bushes hold little drops of water
for the mosquitos to lay their eggs in. Currently we have bees of all
sorts hovering around the pines with an almost constant hum. My
goldfish are always feeding around the top of the water and the water
is moving constantly. You need some bat and bird houses. good luck.

Thanks,

Rich