Old 17-06-2003, 06:20 PM
John

Default Water fall & filter design, please comment.

My fellow PORGS:
I am designing my filter for my 6000 gallon's pond, i am thinking
about the following.
1) build a 3x4x5 filter

water in

| |
water out | |
-----------------------|--|
| | |
| Water Hy's | |
| | |
-----------------------|--|
| | |
| filter material | |
| (lava rocks,foams etc| |
| | |
----|---|-----|----|---|--|
| | |racks| | | |
| | |space| | | |---
| | | | | | |---|
valve to flus the waste out
-------------------------

a) using EPDM liner for inside, I am debating concrete bricks
or plywood (outside) with strong Simpson Tie (supported by lots of
rock), has anyone create such a big filter with plywood? will it be
about to hold such volumn?)
b) I will put a 10'' to 1' tall rack on the bottom of the
filter ( for all the dirt debris)
c) make a hole on the botton of the filter, connect it with 1
1/2' PVCS pipe, end it with a valve, (to clean the filter,flush out
the waste )
d) put some iron mesh on top of the rack
e) put lava rock & filter material on top of the rack
f) put water hynache on the very top
g) install a 4' pipe from top done to the bottom of of the
filter with some open on the bottom, running my 1 1/2' pipe(from the
pump) inside the 4' pipe.

2) the clean water will flow out of the filter to 2 fall's (1' per
fall)
3) the water will flow to a 10'x4'x(1-2)' veggie filter. again, I
am debating using concreate block or plywood to build this
3) the water will flow from the veggie filter to the pond
Please comment
Thanks for any input, ideas.
John
Old 18-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Mark T.

Hi John,
You have a great plan!
More information is better, so might I suggest
you read through some of thie info on the following link.
Lots of good concepts for DIY filters of all sizes.
You may want to reconsider the lava rock (very heavy
and it clogs up quick), and the metal rack for
supporting your media (It'll corrode in time).

http://www.mikebentley.com/ponds/homemadefilters.htm

HTH,
Mark

"John" wrote in message
m...
My fellow PORGS:
I am designing my filter for my 6000 gallon's pond, i am thinking
about the following.
1) build a 3x4x5 filter

water in

| |
water out | |
-----------------------|--|
| | |
| Water Hy's | |
| | |
-----------------------|--|
| | |
| filter material | |
| (lava rocks,foams etc| |
| | |
----|---|-----|----|---|--|
| | |racks| | | |
| | |space| | | |---
| | | | | | |---|
valve to flus the waste out
-------------------------

Old 18-06-2003, 04:08 AM
WhiskerFish

I am not a pond person yet but I do have a link that discusses
building big aquariums out of Plywood that may be very usefull to you.
check it out

http://fp.marksfish.f9.co.uk/plywoodtanks.htm

WF

On 17 Jun 2003 09:09:40 -0700, (John) wrote:

My fellow PORGS:
I am designing my filter for my 6000 gallon's pond, i am thinking
about the following.
1) build a 3x4x5 filter

water in

| |
water out | |
-----------------------|--|
| | |
| Water Hy's | |
| | |
-----------------------|--|
| | |
| filter material | |
| (lava rocks,foams etc| |
| | |
----|---|-----|----|---|--|
| | |racks| | | |
| | |space| | | |---
| | | | | | |---|
valve to flus the waste out
-------------------------

Old 19-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Hi John,

What you have described will work perfectly in concept! Execution is a
different story!

Do you know if the concrete block will be enough to withstand the water
pressure? How do you anchor the blocks to the ground? How do you attach
your plywood to the blocks? If your whole assembly is sitting on concrete,
how do you fit your drain underneath the filter without creating a high
point as your drain point? If your drain point is high, then obviously the
bottom water with crud water will not flow out!

How will you join your filter to your veggie filter and how will you
construct the weir from your filter and your veggie filter? How do you
protect your self from the filter overflowing and not draining your pond?

How do you actually install the filter material in the filter and be able to
get them out once in a while to clean?

Again what you want to do is perfect, but requires a lot of expertise and
may cost more than just buying a plastic barrel and building a Skippy filter
surrounded by rocks! Float hyacinth and pennyworth on top, and call it a
day! You can have many Skippy filters independently or connected to serve
your 6000 gallon pond. Maybe you can Skippy an email and see what he has to
say!

What do others think here?
--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"John" wrote in message
m...
My fellow PORGS:
I am designing my filter for my 6000 gallon's pond, i am thinking
about the following.
1) build a 3x4x5 filter

water in

| |