Old 18-06-2003, 03:44 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Iris, VF and Pebbles...

I am using WH and Iris as my primary VF plants. I was thinking of taking the
iris out of the pots they are in and planting them directly in piles of
pebbles in the VF. Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 18-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
I am using WH and Iris as my primary VF plants. I was thinking of taking the
iris out of the pots they are in and planting them directly in piles of
pebbles in the VF. Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

My thought is that you'll be sorry you put pebbles
in the vf.;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-06-2003, 05:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
I am using WH and Iris as my primary VF plants. I was thinking of taking

the
iris out of the pots they are in and planting them directly in piles of
pebbles in the VF. Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

My thought is that you'll be sorry you put pebbles
in the vf.;-)

I know the whole pebbles are verboten theory because of the hydrogen
sulfide, but my VF has no fish? So is HS still a worry? My VF is only a foot
deep at best, so I would think that planting right in it would be a great
idea.

Bonnie...more, more...tell me more on you thoughts...

BV.

Old 18-06-2003, 05:20 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
I am using WH and Iris as my primary VF plants. I was thinking of taking the
iris out of the pots they are in and planting them directly in piles of
pebbles in the VF. Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

BV

I depoted mine last year, the ones that wanted to fall over I just used
rocks to steady them this year they have expanded enough to stand by
themselves even in my 60 mph winds
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 18-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:

I am using WH and Iris as my primary VF plants. I was thinking of taking

the

iris out of the pots they are in and planting them directly in piles of
pebbles in the VF. Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

My thought is that you'll be sorry you put pebbles
in the vf.;-)

I know the whole pebbles are verboten theory because of the hydrogen
sulfide, but my VF has no fish? So is HS still a worry? My VF is only a foot
deep at best, so I would think that planting right in it would be a great
idea.

Bonnie...more, more...tell me more on you thoughts...

BV.

I do have iris planted in pebbles in my bog. I won't put
stones in the vf now because I did have them for several
years (ask Nedra) and the yearly clean out was really nasty!
The clean out is much easier without the stones or pebbles.
That was my only concern - I didn't know about the HS.

Old 18-06-2003, 05:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
BenignVanilla wrote:
I am using WH and Iris as my primary VF plants. I was thinking of

taking
the
iris out of the pots they are in and planting them directly in piles

of
pebbles in the VF. Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

My thought is that you'll be sorry you put pebbles
in the vf.;-)

I know the whole pebbles are verboten theory because of the hydrogen
sulfide, but my VF has no fish? So is HS still a worry? My VF is only a

foot
deep at best, so I would think that planting right in it would be a great
idea.

Bonnie...more, more...tell me more on you thoughts...

Bonnie and John...thanks...Rocks it is!

BV.

Old 18-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Nedra

Yep ... Bonnie is right about gravel and rocks in the veggie
filter. It took me three weeks (at least!) to clean out my VF. ...
full of hydrogen sulfide... no fish either. It is the water itself that
"rots" ! Now don't any of you scientists come in and argue that
with me .... I don't argue with scientists ... lol
Just go on what has worked 'for' - 'against' - or 'with' me!
I don't think we need anything else - just water and time ....

Nedra

Old 18-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Sue Alexandre

My iris in my veggie filter are just planted in the small pebbles.... seem
to be doing fine, except they fall over more easily this way.
Sue

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 18-06-2003, 08:32 PM

unless this is a bog type filter (doesnt get cleaned) with rocks no more than 1 inch
under the top of the water it is going to be difficult to clean up. I wrap plants
that dont "stand up" in the pot in polyester batting. the water flows right thru it.
I actually have hanging baskets with flowers in dirt, those just touch the surface of
the water to "self water".. between those I tuck the plants like water celery and
cyperus (papyrus) ... I tie the cyperus to the fencing behind them with those flat
plastic ties with their roots in the water. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 25-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Sam Hopkins

Iris wont work as VF plants. They'll get thier nutrients from the dirt and
not the water column.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 26-06-2003, 12:56 AM
John Rutz

Sam Hopkins wrote:
Iris wont work as VF plants. They'll get thier nutrients from the dirt and
not the water column.

gee guess I had beter tell my iris they cant grow in water like they have been for two years

Old 26-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Gregory Young

Actually all of my plants are planted in pea gravel, most in pots on my
shelves. Those on the shelves are all diff. varieties of Louisiana iris,
which are blooming nicely again, as we speak. I live in zone 5 and they
overwinter here fine, left right on the 12 deep shelves where they sit all
winter..
My VF (adjacent to the water garden) consists of a bog garden, approx 8 x 9
ft. It runs 4 inches in depth, with 2 inches of gravel, into which L.
irises, Lizard tails, Pickerel rush, and Sweet flag were planted and grow
like weeds (esp. the invasive Lizard tails).
The first 2 years I had soil in the bog (clay), and the leached nutrients
had to have been significant, as I had tons of string algae in the water
garden.
Got sick of that, so removed all dirt from the bog one spring, and replaced
it with 2 inches pea gravel. The following season, and ever since, have had
no trouble with algae. (and that's for pond in full sun all day long). I no
longer even use a uv. Sold mine couple of years back.
Only things I fertilize are the lilies, (also planted in pea gravel), in
pots 16 inches under water. I use plant tabs, 1 per gallon, once a month
when blooms start.
All the marginals, floaters, and all others never get any supplemental
fertilization. They get enough from the fish!
Happy ponding,
Greg

.. .

Old 26-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Sue Alexandre

Darn, does this mean, I, too, have to tell my iris that they can't grow in
just water? That would be a shame since those are the only two that are
blooming so far.
Sue

thlink.net...

Old 26-06-2003, 03:45 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
Darn, does this mean, I, too, have to tell my iris that they can't grow in
just water? That would be a shame since those are the only two that

are
blooming so far.
Sue

snip

I think you should send them all to me and I will take care of them for you.
*laugh*

BV.