Old 27-06-2003, 03:32 AM
RichToyBox

Default My pond just had its first Algae Bloom! what do I do?????

BV,

All references I have seen say barley straw. Most likely what you have is
wheat straw. I don't know if it would work or not. Mixed in the clay, it
might make good adobe bricks, if you could get it dry.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
"Chester Deja" wrote in message
om...
If you want a no-hassle long term natural combatant for algae then
just use barley straw. I added 1/3 bale to my 35'x55'x4' pond and
within 3 weeks crystal clear water with NO string algae and NO other
hassles. Now I can see my thousands of minnows swimming around.
That's what I get for throwing in 9 dozen of them 2 months ago. Our
new wild rescued from the side of the raod turtle has pleanty of food
he can 'see'. Not to mention the thousands of tadpoles.

snip

Is this the same straw you get in bales at a garden center? I just tossed
some down around my pond to help the grass take root, and to try and keep
the mud in place. I wonder if I should toss some in the pond? Hmm...Bonnie
help...I am going to meddle again...

BV.

Old 27-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
BV Am I the only demented fool that celebrates when my water turns green?
Green

is better then orange.

Are by chance Irish? ;-)

k30a

Ah, Kathy, haven't you heard of the Orangemen?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 27-06-2003, 03:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message
BV Am I the only demented fool that celebrates when my water turns green?
Green
is better then orange.

Are by chance Irish? ;-)

Only when I am drinking Guinness.

BV.

Old 27-06-2003, 03:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
BV,

All references I have seen say barley straw. Most likely what you have

is
wheat straw. I don't know if it would work or not. Mixed in the clay, it
might make good adobe bricks, if you could get it dry.

snip

I believe it. We laid some bricks down on the lawn in a rough pattern to see
how a nice walkway would look past the pond. I then poured some
clay/water/clurry mix from around the pond over the bricks. After a month or
so, they are cemented in place and won't move. Luckily the path looks great.

BV.

Old 27-06-2003, 03:56 PM
K30a

Bonnie wrote Ah, Kathy, haven't you heard of the Orangemen?

Were they a singing group in the late 60s/early70s?
k30a

Old 27-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
Bonnie wrote Ah, Kathy, haven't you heard of the Orangemen?

Were they a singing group in the late 60s/early70s?
k30a

They are the protestants of Northern Ireland.

Old 27-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Nedra

I think the term comes from William III, Prince of Orange ...
King of England. History buffs - Help ......

Nedra

Old 27-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nedra wrote:
I think the term comes from William III, Prince of Orange ...
King of England. History buffs - Help ......

Nedra

This site will explain:
http://www.orangenet.org/civilrights/orange.htm

Old 28-06-2003, 02:56 AM
K30a

Bonnie wroteThey are the protestants of Northern Ireland.

Oh, yes, that I know.
I wish I could remember the name of
that singing group... they sang of the orange
and the green.

k30a
Old 30-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Skooch

K30a wrote:
Bonnie wroteThey are the protestants of Northern Ireland.

Oh, yes, that I know.
I wish I could remember the name of
that singing group... they sang of the orange
and the green.

The Irish Rovers
Lyrics found @
http://www.irish-rovers.demon.co.uk/...ange-green.htm

k30a

Old 30-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

Skooch wrote:

K30a wrote:

Bonnie wroteThey are the protestants of Northern Ireland.

Oh, yes, that I know.
I wish I could remember the name of
that singing group... they sang of the orange
and the green.

The Irish Rovers
Lyrics found @
http://www.irish-rovers.demon.co.uk/...ange-green.htm

k30a

I met them when I worked at a coffee house in the 60's,
they were a very loud and boisterous group.

Old 30-06-2003, 05:56 AM
K30a

Skooch wrote The Irish Rovers

YES! That's it ;-)

Bonnie wrote they were a very loud and boisterous group

I loved them! How very kewl!

k30a
Old 30-06-2003, 04:08 PM
John Rutz

Skooch wrote:

K30a wrote:

Bonnie wroteThey are the protestants of Northern Ireland.

Oh, yes, that I know.
I wish I could remember the name of
that singing group... they sang of the orange
and the green.

The Irish Rovers
Lyrics found @
http://www.irish-rovers.demon.co.uk/...ange-green.htm

k30a

love thier music cant find thier CD's
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 30-06-2003, 04:32 PM
K30a

I've started ordering CDs from B&N.com.
Click on music and then enter the group
in the search box. The Irish Rovers are
still selling!! (I don't know if that makes me
feel old or young ;-)

k30a
Old 30-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

John Rutz wrote:

Skooch wrote:

K30a wrote:

Bonnie wroteThey are the protestants of Northern Ireland.

Oh, yes, that I know.
I wish I could remember the name of
that singing group... they sang of the orange
and the green.

The Irish Rovers
Lyrics found @
http://www.irish-rovers.demon.co.uk/...ange-green.htm

k30a

love thier music cant find thier CD's

Barnes and Noble has at least one available.