Old 20-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Critical Popperian

Default The Big Dig Update: Roof, Filter, Thumb, Emergent Leaves

The Big Dig Update: Roof, Filter, Thumb, Emergent Leaves
http://www.popperian.com/pond/page21.htm

From the beginning:
http://www.popperian.com/pond/index.htm
Old 21-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Dude! You are a manly man! Result is great Dude!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Critical Popperian" wrote in message
om...
The Big Dig Update: Roof, Filter, Thumb, Emergent Leaves
http://www.popperian.com/pond/page21.htm

From the beginning:
http://www.popperian.com/pond/index.htm

Old 21-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Critical Popperian

Dude! You are a manly man! Result is great Dude!

He... now THAT's funny!
Old 22-06-2003, 12:20 AM
zookeeper

Critical Popperian wrote:
The Big Dig Update: Roof, Filter, Thumb, Emergent Leaves
http://www.popperian.com/pond/page21.htm

Can honestly say I feel your pain, having suffered a partially
dislocated middle finger (envision it pointing backwards toward back of
hand instead of toward the palm -- ouch!!) trying to field a line drive
in baseball. Best part was (not!!) everyone insisted on it staying that
way until after drive to hospital, wait in ER waiting room, wait in ER
examining room, wait in x-ray department, wait for technician to read
x-ray, another wait in ER waiting and exam rooms, then wait for
orthopedic consult, before "snapping" it back into place. Actually the
best part was the almost complete relief of pain once it was back where
it belonged.

Hope you recover quickly. The roof and ponds look great.
--
zookeeper

Old 22-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Gregory Young

You were made to wait for an orthopedist to come in and relocate a simple
dislocation of your finger?? Wow!!
If you had no associated fracture(s) I would suggest you find another ED in
the future to visit!
Even beginning first year ED residents are trained to relocate a finger
dislocation, (unless there is associated fracture, vascular or nerve
deficit).
Unless there is an obvious associated injury, many of the more seasoned
practitioners will simply reduce it, then x-ray for small fractures, etc
that may not have been apparent on initial examination.
In view of all the liability issues however we no longer train the residents
to reduce the dislocation until AFTER they have obtained an x-ray, to avoid
potential litigation for fractures that the patient may claim they caused
when they reduced the dislocation. It's another example of defensive
medicine, which once again winds up hurting the patients. (literally in this
case!)
I have reduced dozens in the field over the years at various athletic events
(esp. baseball.. usually because the glove wasn't held correctly, or the
fingers weren't in proper position in the glove), then splinting then with
whatever I had available (Popsicle sticks work fine), before sending them in
to an ED for x-rays. It saves a lot of pain, as I am sure you can testify!
Happy ponding,
Greg

Old 22-06-2003, 04:56 AM
zookeeper

Gregory Young wrote:
You were made to wait for an orthopedist to come in and relocate a simple
dislocation of your finger?? Wow!!

I have reduced dozens in the field over the years at various athletic events
(esp. baseball.. usually because the glove wasn't held correctly, or the
fingers weren't in proper position in the glove), then splinting then with
whatever I had available (Popsicle sticks work fine), before sending them in
to an ED for x-rays. It saves a lot of pain, as I am sure you can testify!

Yep, they made me wait. Not sure what they thought was wrong, but after
the orthopedist looked it and the x-ray over, he just popped it into
place -- no splint, just an elastic wrap from my wrist to the first
joint of each finger for two weeks. Now, this was 18 years ago, but it
doesn't seem as though medicine (of that kind anyway) would have changed
that much since then. Maybe it's because I was at the ER of a "highly
respected" San Francisco / Bay Area hospital.

My glove was held correctly and my fingers were in the right place, but
I decided to **stupidly** snag the line drive with my gloveless hand.
This while playing right field on the assurance that **nothing ever
happens out there.** Good news #1: I didn't drop the ball, but managed
to transfer it to my gloved hand before dropping to the ground, swearing
loudly but holding it in the air. Good news #2: That injury and a severe
ham string pull were the only injuries I ever had from playing for over
12 years on coed and women's league teams. Didn't realize how much I
miss that fun until being reminded by CP's thumb injury.
--
zookeeper

Old 22-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Critical Popperian

You were made to wait for an orthopedist to come in and relocate a simple
dislocation of your finger?? Wow!!

Yeah, they definitely made me wait. He tried retracting it before the
x-ray and it didn't go easily so he stopped and said "I dunno,
something just doesn't look right about that" and got x-rays.

I think it was just my stubby hands
Old 23-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Jeb_50

I am impressed
What part of northen Georgia are you in?
And I thought I took on a large job building a pond

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/otek963/

"Critical Popperian" wrote in message
om...
The Big Dig Update: Roof, Filter, Thumb, Emergent Leaves
http://www.popperian.com/pond/page21.htm

From the beginning:
http://www.popperian.com/pond/index.htm

Old 24-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Critical Popperian

I am impressed
What part of northen Georgia are you in?
And I thought I took on a large job building a pond

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/otek963/

Powder Springs.

Yeah, I looked through your site and it looked AWESOME! When your
plants all grow in, it'll be very nice indeed!