GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Frog behavior question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/33461-frog-behavior-question.html)

Anne Lurie 22-06-2003 12:20 AM

Frog behavior question

This afternoon, I noticed (on a well-deserved break from trimming Wisteria &
Holly) that there was a frog on the lip of my teeny water garden. (I don't
mean this is unusual, but the frog, unlike the "let's get ready to rumble"
toads after dark doesn't make much noise.)

The frog was sitting on the lip of the pond (okay, okay), and it would sort
of stretch out its hind legs (as if it were getting ready to scratch behind
its ear!), then spasm as if it were trying to swallow something really big.

The frog seemed to be a bit "glued down" by stuff underneath it, but I
thought it was trying to back into the pond.

Was the frog laying eggs? Getting ready to fertilize eggs?

The goldfish seemed to be rather interested in the frog's activities, but
that might just have been due to the frog's stirring up the water (a foot
dangled into the pond now & then).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

K30a 22-06-2003 01:20 AM

Frog behavior question

Sounds like the frog is shedding his skin.

k30a

Bob Adkins 22-06-2003 12:56 PM

Frog behavior question

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:09:51 GMT, "Anne Lurie" wrote:

The frog was sitting on the lip of the pond (okay, okay), and it would sort
of stretch out its hind legs (as if it were getting ready to scratch behind
its ear!), then spasm as if it were trying to swallow something really big.

That sounds like spawning behavior.

Bob