GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I give up (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/33536-i-give-up.html)

BB 22-06-2003 05:44 PM

I give up

Ok, what's the meaning of OT in the subject line.
It has shone up in more than one subject from more than one person.
I have tried to figure it out, but I'm lost??

Will someone enlighten me?

John Rutz 22-06-2003 05:56 PM

I give up

BB wrote:
Ok, what's the meaning of OT in the subject line.
It has shone up in more than one subject from more than one person.
I have tried to figure it out, but I'm lost??

Will someone enlighten me?

-- sure off topic something not related to ponds :-)

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

MLF 22-06-2003 05:56 PM

I give up

"BB" wrote:
Ok, what's the meaning of OT in the subject line.
It has shone up in more than one subject from more than one person.
I have tried to figure it out, but I'm lost??

"OT" means "Off Topic". It is prefixed to a post's Subject line to alert
readers that the subject of the post is not related to the purpose of the
newsgroup.

For instance, if I wanted to tell everyone that my just wife had a baby in
the rec.ponds newsgroup, I should make the subject "OT: My wife had a baby"
because my wife's fecundity is unrelated to ponds. For folks who have slow
communications speeds, this will tell tham that they can avoid downloading
the message (and the related thread of post related to it) and not miss
anything.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

K30a 22-06-2003 06:32 PM

I give up

Off Topic -- which in and of itself is remarkable for this group.... there *is*
life outside of ponding, yes, I heard its true!
(Actually I started the OT Harry Potter thread... but Hogwarts does have a
pond, a lake actually, with mermaids and mermen and a giant squid!)

k30a

BB 22-06-2003 07:32 PM

I give up

Thanks

It's one of those things that can be so puzzling, but so obvious once
explained.

Bill

daytripper 22-06-2003 10:20 PM

I give up

"BB" wrote in message
Ok, what's the meaning of OT in the subject line.
It has shone up in more than one subject from more than one person.
I have tried to figure it out, but I'm lost??

Will someone enlighten me?

heh heh..."Fun with Noobs"...Can you figure out what luser means? ;-)

Russ and Cathy 23-06-2003 01:56 AM

I give up

"BB" wrote in message
Ok, what's the meaning of OT in the subject line.
It has shone up in more than one subject from more than one person.
I have tried to figure it out, but I'm lost??

Will someone enlighten me?

I guessed correctly at the OT thingie but am still puzzled at
DH..............
dumb husband?
dear husband?
dead husband?
ditzy husband?
deaf husband?
dumb husband?
darling husband?
difficult husband?
I am pretty sure that the H is for husband........but the D is anyones guess
lol
Cathy

John Rutz 23-06-2003 02:44 AM

I give up

--
its whatever fits at the time I believe

K30a 23-06-2003 02:56 AM

I give up

bburk wrote
dumb husband?
dear husband?
dead husband?
ditzy husband?
deaf husband?
dumb husband?
darling husband?
difficult husband?

ALL of the above, sometimes ALL at the same time... DW *always* means 'dear
wife' ;-)

k30a

Essjay001 23-06-2003 06:08 AM

I give up

Bob H wrote:
OT=Off Topic

Short and to the point 10 points

Steve and Lisa 23-06-2003 12:32 PM

I give up

I suppose it depends on what kind of man you have been lucky or unlucky
enough to married....mine would be DH dear husband.....my ex though would
have been DH difficult but wishing he was dead....lol. j/k. (that's just
kidding)

Lisa

BenignVanilla 23-06-2003 04:20 PM

I give up

"MLF" wrote in message

"BB" wrote:
Ok, what's the meaning of OT in the subject line.
It has shone up in more than one subject from more than one person.
I have tried to figure it out, but I'm lost??

"OT" means "Off Topic". It is prefixed to a post's Subject line to alert
readers that the subject of the post is not related to the purpose of the
newsgroup.

For instance, if I wanted to tell everyone that my just wife had a baby in
the rec.ponds newsgroup, I should make the subject "OT: My wife had a

baby"
because my wife's fecundity is unrelated to ponds. For folks who have slow
communications speeds, this will tell tham that they can avoid downloading
the message (and the related thread of post related to it) and not miss
anything.

Congrats, just in case.

BV.

MLF 23-06-2003 09:56 PM

I give up

"BenignVanilla" m wrote:
For instance, if I wanted to tell everyone that my just wife had a baby

in
the rec.ponds newsgroup, I should make the subject "OT: My wife had a
baby"

Congrats, just in case.

She's 52, I'm 51, and our youngest child is 26. I am very much happy and
relieved to say that I will never need to utter those immortal words ever
again.

Anne Lurie 23-06-2003 10:33 PM

I give up

Well, I read "DH" as Dutiful Husband, but I'm at a loss about PORG (or
PORGer?):

The best one I could come up with (at least in a family-oriented medium, as
they say) is Pond Owners' Recreation Group, but that seems so tame.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC