Old 22-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Charlie C.

Default My goldfish all died...

Today I went out to feed the fish in my pond and noticed that all the
goldfish had died (I assume that all of them are dead as I haven't seen any
but I suppose a few could be hiding). I had two large goldfish (an oranda
and a shubunkin which have been in the pond for a few years) and they
recently had babies so I had several (about 1-inch) hybrid offspring.

All of the goldfish seemed to be doing well as recently as yesterday.

The weird thing is that the pond also has a bunch of White Cloud Mountain
Minnows in it (again they and their offspring have been in there for a
couple of years) and they seem to be fine. They are swimming normally and I
also see a few very small baby white clouds who also seem to be doing fine.
I haven't noticed any dead white clouds.

There are also a ton of toad tadpoles but I get those every year. One year,
when it was REALLY hot the tadpoles used up most of the oxygen in the pond
so I had to use an airstone to agitate the surface. When I lost fish in
that incident they died slowly over a few weeks. This time the fish were
fine yesterday and today they're gone.

Anyone have any guesses?

Thanks,

Charlie in Houston
Old 22-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Bob

Unless you find any bodies, I wouldn't assume they were dead. Could of been
scared by some animal or bird of something.

--
Remove ME to email

Check out my pond at:
Http://Trains99.tripod.com

Click on the My Pond button on the left.

. 4...

Old 22-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Lori

Anybody spray their yard very recently?
Old 23-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I don't seem to fully understand your question!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 23-06-2003, 04:32 AM

Did your lawn company spray?
Did a tree company spray trees?
Did you leave the garden hose in the pond run all night?

Old 23-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Charlie C.

"Lori" wrote in message
Anybody spray their yard very recently?

No spraying and I didn't leave the garden hose on. Also, the other fish in
my pong (White Clouds) are still okay, even the very smallest fry. That's
what's strange to me - that only the gold fish died.

The pond is a small pre-fab about 18" deep 3'x5' with a lot of anacharis and
parrots feather plus some water hyacinth. There are some marginals and a
couple of small lillies as well. It's been set up for about 4 years and so
far it's been doing pretty well. I've had one fish die-off due to low
oxygen (too hot and too many tadpoles) but, as I mentioned in my earlier
post, that didn't kill my fish all at once but slowly over a few days.
Old 23-06-2003, 10:56 PM

you went out in the morning and found them dead, this is loss of oxygen overnight.
all the plants and algae in the pond used up the oxygen. it can happened suddenly
when the temps are very high the water wont hold much oxygen. biggest fish die
first. Ingrid

"Charlie C." wrote:
Today I went out to feed the fish in my pond and noticed that all the
goldfish had died

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com