Old 24-06-2003, 03:44 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default Color me DISCOURAGED! - herons and nets

In the last chapter: Szpond picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:
:: This year - Murky, pea green soup, floating algae, for the past 6
:: weeks. Plenty of plants. Have lost 12+ comets and koi to the
:: local heron (of course he took our favorite ones). Have string
:: around pond, floating snake, and heron statue. Took another one
:: this week! Have lots of hiding spots for the fish, but they come
:: right to surface everytime we approach.
========================
I can't help you much with the algae problem but herons are another matter.
The only sure cure for herons, fish eating frogs, turtles and snakes is a
bird net. They work 100% of the time. We haven't lost one fish to
predators since we netted our ponds. I also believe they cut the disease
rate as well because they keep out these predators that travel from pond to
pond carrying these things with them. We've had no disease or parasite
problems since netting either. :-)

We use UV lights and a lot of plants to control pea-soup pond water.
--
*.·´¨¨))
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))*

Old 24-06-2003, 05:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Szpond wrote:
This year - Murky, pea green soup, floating algae, for the past 6
weeks. Plenty of plants.

4,500 gallons, could you describe your filter? How many plants is plenty?
Have you checked your water parameters/quality? What are those numbers
showing?

I also swear by the scarecrow sprinklers. I had a racoon hit me, granted he
didn't catch any fish amazingly, but he trashed the pond. I had a scarecrow
sprinkler installed ASAP and luckily before it came back and it never
bother the pond again. Other decoys I've used are the heron scarer plastic
fish, they seem to work well on kingfishers. I also have my old baby
monitor out by the pond and the receiver in my bedroom. Last night I
discovered by teenage son using the hot tub at 1am. Sheesh! ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 24-06-2003, 05:32 AM
K30a

jan wrote I
discovered by teenage son using the hot tub at 1am. Sheesh!

Was he sharing it with a heron?
;-)

k30a
Old 24-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Just Me \Koi\

You may want to be careful there Jan!! Never can tell what else you may
over hear at night listening in on your teenage son! Especially in the hot
tub! At 1 am! At that time of the night all bets are off for me, the old
folks should be sleeping happily dreaming of whatever old folks dream of!

I can only imagine what my dear Mama would have heard had she listened in on
me and my friends at that age! She probably would have gone into an
irrecoverable coma!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 25-06-2003, 02:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

jan wrote I
discovered by teenage son using the hot tub at 1am. Sheesh!

Was he sharing it with a heron?
;-) k30a

Nor anyone else, thank goodness. ~ jan

Old 25-06-2003, 02:20 AM
joe

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

jan wrote I
discovered by teenage son using the hot tub at 1am. Sheesh!

Was he sharing it with a heron?
;-) k30a

Nor anyone else, thank goodness. ~ jan

Won't be long now though.

Mines 24, so I can say that with some authority.... and relief.

Joe

Old 25-06-2003, 06:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

jan wrote I
discovered by teenage son using the hot tub at 1am. Sheesh!

Was he sharing it with a heron?
;-) k30a

Nor anyone else, thank goodness. ~ jan

Won't be long now though.

Well this one is going into the Army July 17th, so he doesn't have much
time, considering the gal he dates is under her momma's close watch (thank
goodness). ~ jan

Nets and leaves Koi-lo Ponds 1 15-11-2005 02:19 AM
Snake deterrent No Nets Needed ~ janj JJsPond.us Ponds 4 22-07-2005 03:24 PM
Pond nets buried under 9" of snow! Robyn Rhudy Ponds 1 12-12-2003 07:34 PM
Color me DISCOURAGED! Szpond Ponds 50 17-07-2003 04:56 PM
Color me DISCOURAGED! Bonnie - Stabbing fish????? ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 9 27-06-2003 03:44 AM