GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   lily acrobatics and rejuvenation ??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/33861-lily-acrobatics-rejuvenation.html)

mike miller 24-06-2003 04:32 PM

lily acrobatics and rejuvenation ???

Either the newly muscular fish or the @@#!!! racoon has AGAIN knocked over
my tropical lily pot. Here in z5, we've just had a few (3?) days of 70+
degree weather, so I know once the pond heats up, things grow.

But I overwintered my beloved Blue Beauty tuber, and at this point
(undergoing 4 somersaults) what's left is the baby's-fist sized tuber, no
significant roots, and 5 or 6 pencil-eraser sized leaves desperatly
searching for sunlight.

My question: how long until this becomes a plant again? Is it even worth
keeping it this year (given that the summer only lasts a few weeks here)?
Opinions?

--

Michael Miller

Gary Woods 24-06-2003 05:20 PM

"mike miller" wrote:

My question: how long until this becomes a plant again? Is it even worth
keeping it this year (given that the summer only lasts a few weeks here)?

I can't guess a time frame, considering its checkered past... sounds like
you very much need a warm "nursery" pool to at least get it going. With
protection from various wildlife.

I'm considering tropicals in zone 5/4 myself, since by next year I'll have
all colors _except_ blue. How did you winter the tuber? I don't mind
paying the price for good plant material, but treating something that
pricey as an annual..... well, I do respect my Scots ancestors, and...

Thanks,

Lori 24-06-2003 05:56 PM

lily acrobatics and rejuvenation ???

My question: how long until this becomes a plant again? Is it even worth
keeping it this year (given that the summer only lasts a few weeks here)?
Opinions?

Put a milk crate thingy upside down, over the pot. This will allow the
plant to grow, and keep out the larger critters that are destroying
it. Put a rock or something on top to keep it steady.

mike miller 24-06-2003 06:56 PM

lily acrobatics and rejuvenation ???

Put a milk crate thingy upside down, over the pot. This will allow the
plant to grow, and keep out the larger critters that are destroying
it. Put a rock or something on top to keep it steady.

I tried that, but it's on a slanty area. I might try the nursery pond idea,
but my pond is in its spring greening stage, and I could use the plant IN
the pond.