GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   so many questions... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/33914-so-many-questions.html)

GaneaRowenna 24-06-2003 09:08 PM

so many questions...

I dug a pond last spring, it is 2500 gallons. My new puppy got into it over
the winter and tore some holes in parts of the liner. I just got a new liner,
and want to use what is left of the old liner to fashion a stream and
waterfall. Right now, I have a combination biofilter/pump. I am hoping that I
will not have to purchase a new pump for the additions. I currently have 20
small goldfish, but they are getting bigger by the day. I have heard mention
on this board of a veggie filter. What is this? Also, since I have to drain
and clean my pond, how can I go about adding a drain? I have many, many more
questions, but this should get me started.
Thank you for any info in advance.
ShawnAnne

Bonnie Espenshade 24-06-2003 09:32 PM

so many questions...

GaneaRowenna wrote:
I dug a pond last spring, it is 2500 gallons. My new puppy got into it over
the winter and tore some holes in parts of the liner. I just got a new liner,
and want to use what is left of the old liner to fashion a stream and
waterfall. Right now, I have a combination biofilter/pump. I am hoping that I
will not have to purchase a new pump for the additions. I currently have 20
small goldfish, but they are getting bigger by the day. I have heard mention
on this board of a veggie filter. What is this? Also, since I have to drain
and clean my pond, how can I go about adding a drain? I have many, many more
questions, but this should get me started.
Thank you for any info in advance.
ShawnAnne

Hi ShawnAnne,

A veggie filter is simply using plants to filter the water.
It usually is in a seperate area filled with plants where
the water is pumped into or out of. In my case, I have a
lower pond, the water is pumped up into the veggie filter
then it flows into the upper pond and down a waterfall into
the lower pond. I also have a (new) bottom drain in the
upper pond which also pumps water to the veggie filter.
Mine bottom drain is a retro fit (no hole in the liner). It
simply sits on the bottom of the pond and the water is
pulled up into the pump. What type of pump do you have?

--
Bonnie
NJ