Old 27-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Don

Default Galvanized trough ok for quarantine

Is a galvanized trough ok for quarantine? It is in a shady location so temp
fluctuations won't be drastic and it is very large 7' x 3'

I have an indoor 75 gallon but for koi, the more room the better. The
residents seem happy after about a week.

Old 27-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Hank Pagel

I'm not sure but I would be concerned that if you had to treat for
disease or parasites that the copper or high concentration of salt
might react with the zinc.

Old 27-06-2003, 03:56 PM

only if your alkalinity is over 7.5 or so. why not get a rubbermaid or such, it is
insulated and will moderate temp fluctuations better. Ingrid

"Don" wrote:

Is a galvanized trough ok for quarantine? It is in a shady location so temp
fluctuations won't be drastic and it is very large 7' x 3'

I have an indoor 75 gallon but for koi, the more room the better. The
residents seem happy after about a week.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 27-06-2003, 04:32 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
only if your alkalinity is over 7.5 or so. why not get a rubbermaid or

such, it is
insulated and will moderate temp fluctuations better. Ingrid

snip

This sounds like one of those super-cooling threads. I wonder if the
Rubbermaid and the steel would really show different temp fluctuations. How
much water are we talking about? Didn't the OP say 750 gallons? I'd think
750 gallons would not be very affected by a thin wall be it plastic or
metal.

Just wondering aloud, not arguing a point.

BV.

Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Of course, you are welcome to ask questions here, but sometimes, if you need
a question answered right away, goto
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en type in galvanized
and type in rec.ponds over on the right side under 'Newsgroup Return only
messages from the Newsgroup'

Lots of good info in the archives.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"When you lose, don't lose the lesson." - Dalai Lama

Old 28-06-2003, 04:56 AM

I had both 100 gallon rubbermaids and 144 gallon galvanized in my basement one winter
and the rubber ones held the heat much better than the galvanized. difference
between a conductor and an insulator. Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" m wrote:
This sounds like one of those super-cooling threads. I wonder if the
Rubbermaid and the steel would really show different temp fluctuations. How
much water are we talking about? Didn't the OP say 750 gallons? I'd think
750 gallons would not be very affected by a thin wall be it plastic or
metal.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 30-06-2003, 02:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"BenignVanilla" m wrote:
This sounds like one of those super-cooling threads. I wonder if the
Rubbermaid and the steel would really show different temp fluctuations.

How
much water are we talking about? Didn't the OP say 750 gallons? I'd think
750 gallons would not be very affected by a thin wall be it plastic or
metal.

Wow...I didn't think such a thin layer of any material would matter, at
least not with that huge body of water behind it. In my mind I was picturing
that middle-school science experiment, where you can't set a paper cup full
of water on fire, because the water takes the heat away.

Ingrid, have you ever compared temps to see how different the are? Is it
extreme?

BV.