Old 27-06-2003, 02:20 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Pixie Dust/Duck Weed/Azolla/Pond Scum

All names I have heard for a small plant that has about a 2 inch root, and
2-3 1/8 inch leaves. My bro in law gave me a ton of it. I like the look, but
wonder if it is a bad idea or good idea. The fish seem to love it, nibbling
on the roots.

Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 27-06-2003, 03:08 PM
K30a

Duckweed has smooth edges.
Azolla has serrated edges.
I had a pondful of Azolla in the frog bog die in a period of 90-100+ weather.
If it survives the summer Azolla turns red in the fall and looks very pretty.
I have duckweed in the big pond. It grows in the filter and on the waterfall.
Any that gets into the pond gets eaten up by the fish.

k30a
Old 27-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Sam Hopkins

Sometimes it'll take over a pond. Goldfish will suck it down though.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 27-06-2003, 07:25 PM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:
All names I have heard for a small plant that has about a 2 inch root, and
2-3 1/8 inch leaves. My bro in law gave me a ton of it. I like the look, but
wonder if it is a bad idea or good idea. The fish seem to love it, nibbling
on the roots.

If it has multi-lobed leaves that look fuzzy, that is azolla or water
fern. Our koi will mouth azolla, but they do not eat it. If it gets in
their mouths when they're sucking in food, they chew the food, but spit
out the azolla. Azolla is very pretty and usually survives the winter.
Since your pond have a bottom drain, azolla might be a good water cover
in your pond (helps shield sun so you gon't get too much "green water").
If a pond doesn't have a bottom drain, you'll find the azolla creates a
lot of debris; the roots seems to break off easily and form dense "mats"
of fiber at the pond bottom or in your filter.
--
Kathy B
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

pond scum Richard Zuma Ponds 0 30-12-2010 01:27 PM
Scum problem in my pond - need advice Tony Crabtree Ponds (alternative) 1 20-05-2006 05:04 PM
Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
Duck, duck, goose! Monique Reed Edible Gardening 1 23-10-2003 02:22 AM
water fern (azolla); was water celery zookeeper Ponds 10 23-03-2003 03:20 AM