Old 27-06-2003, 08:34 PM
BenignVanilla

Default How much top off is safe?

I want to avoid repeating my mistake of adding too much new water, and
killing my fish. I have dechlor but wonder if it is safe to top off without
it? I don't yet have a device for measuring gallons added, so I am forced to
use a 30 gallon rubbermaid, so you can imagine top offs take forever.

Can I safely add 3-4 inches of water without hurting anything? Should I just
add some dechlor anyway? Can you over dechlor?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 27-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Nedra

Well ... it just depends, BV. What brand of Dechlor
are you using? Short answer is to go ahead and put "some"
dechlor in the pond. Better off with some in the water than
none at all.
"They" say you can top off 5% with no harm
done to the fish.

What Brand you are using?

Nedra
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 27-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Charles

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:28:19 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
m wrote:

I want to avoid repeating my mistake of adding too much new water, and
killing my fish. I have dechlor but wonder if it is safe to top off without
it? I don't yet have a device for measuring gallons added, so I am forced to
use a 30 gallon rubbermaid, so you can imagine top offs take forever.

Can I safely add 3-4 inches of water without hurting anything? Should I just
add some dechlor anyway? Can you over dechlor?

How deep is the pond, and how many inches of water are you replacing?
That should be a good enough guide as to how much dechlor to use.

I've put in 10% new water without harm, in fact the only times I have
hurt fish is when I leave the hose running into the pond and forget if
for several hours.

It is possible to over-dechlor, but quite unlikely in a pond. I did
it to a small aquarium, put in about half a gallon of Novaqua into a
two gallon tank. Killed everything. I thought I had the jug I use
for water instead of Novaqua.

I think it also depends on the condition of the pond, mine is
established with all sorts of things growing there besides the fish, I
think that makes it safer.

Koi were more sensitive to the chlorine that were the goldfish.

--

- Charles
-
Old 28-06-2003, 03:08 AM
RichToyBox

BV,

I add my dechlor directly to the pond during filling. After you have done
it a few times, you know how many of those 30 gallon cans it takes to bring
the water level up one inch or two inches. That gives you a good idea of
how many gallons of water you will be adding. Then add approximately the
appropriate amount and you will be more than fine.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 28-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Gail Futoran

"BenignVanilla"
m wrote in
message ...
I want to avoid repeating my mistake of adding too much

new water, and
killing my fish. I have dechlor but wonder if it is safe

to top off without
it? I don't yet have a device for measuring gallons added,

so I am forced to
use a 30 gallon rubbermaid, so you can imagine top offs

take forever.

Can I safely add 3-4 inches of water without hurting

anything? Should I just
add some dechlor anyway? Can you over dechlor?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

I have a smallish (200 gal approx.) in-ground pond.
I top off with tap water that contains chloramines.
As soon as I start the water running (low pressure,
hose nozzle in bottom of pond) I add enough
Pond Amquel & StressCoat to treat the entire
pond. Water level rises about 3".

So far, no problems. I only have minnows,
snails & tadpoles (and a whole bunch of plants)
in there, however, so I don't know how my
method might affect more sensitive fish.

Gail

Old 28-06-2003, 07:08 AM
zookeeper

RichToyBox wrote:
I add my dechlor directly to the pond during filling. After you have done
it a few times, you know how many of those 30 gallon cans it takes to bring
the water level up one inch or two inches. That gives you a good idea of
how many gallons of water you will be adding. Then add approximately the
appropriate amount and you will be more than fine.

After six years of randomly pouring in dechlorinator, I finally timed
how long it took to fill a 4 gallon bucket with the hose. Then leaving
the hose running at the same force, I timed how long it took to replace
pond water. Before filling the pond, I guessed at how long it would
take, poured in a corresponding amount of dechlor. and set a timer for
that amount of time. When I checked and the level wasn't even halfway to
where I wanted it, I threw in more dechlor. and set the timer again.
After having done this once or twice I know how long it takes when the
pond is at certain levels and can put in more than enough dechlorinator
at the beginning.

I'm also still using the chlorine removing carbon whole house filter,
but the declorinator makes me feel safer (it's a combined product with
minerals and "stuff" for the koi).
--
Kathy B
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 28-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

BV

Can't speak about koi (carp) sensitivity, but I have done 10% and even 15%
in an aquarium with no problem. If you can add it in the veggie filter and
let it run down the falls/stream/re-entry, you get immediate air exposure
and thorough stirring at pond entry.

Our pond has a toilette fill valve in it, so it adds an inch or so whenever
it needs to. Hmmm...maybe I'll stick a digital of the valve on the website.

Jim

See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 28-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Greg Cooper

I must admit that I am relatively new to ponding, 3 years exp, so most
everything I know I either heard from someone else or read in a book.
That said....

Reading in "Koi Health and Disease" by Erik Johnson DVM (pg 19) on
Chlorine toxicisity he says:
"Even at LOW levels, (10% of the total volume during a waterchange) a
dechlorinator must be used. The reason is that chronic exposure to
Chlorine can cause irreversible gill hyperplasia, and leave you with
chronically gasping fish"
Cheers.

Old 29-06-2003, 01:08 AM
RichToyBox

Kathy B.

My BIL was using the carbon filter to remove the chlorine in his fill water
and ended up killing one fish and severely stressing two others. I would
recommend that you have a chlorine test kit and use it at the beginning and
end of any significant water changes. We tested the water in front of the
filter and behind the filter, and I don't know how, but the reading after
the filter was higher (like swimming pool safe) than in front of the filter.
--
RichToyBox

Old 29-06-2003, 01:44 AM
K30a

You can get really carried away and look into
running a sprinkler to add water the to pond.

But first you must test it.
So you get out the little tube for the chlorine test to catch the water in.
Next you turn on the sprinkler FULL BLAST!!!
Then you risk life and limb and public ridicule and try and catch water in the
little, tiny tube.
When you are absolutely soaked, have tripped over the hose, the sprinkler, the
labradors' half dozen chew toys... you will hopefully find your little, tiny,
itty, bitty test tube full of water.
And you test it.
And it still shows chlorine.
And you utter colorful vocabulary.
(Been there, done that ;-)

k30a

Old 29-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Gregory Young

Hey Rich:
The higher chlorine reading after the carbon may have been due to the fact
that the carbon was used more than once, and plus the fact that there was an
exchange going on in the added water that literally washed the adsorbed
chlorine off the carbon, adding that removed chlorine to the native chlorine
already in the water, hence the higher level.
I am not sure of why that happened, unless it related to the carbon itself
or direction of water flow, as in this example:

An interesting comparison of your situation is the backwashing that occurs
using regular water to remove adsorbed chlorine on carbon resins in home
units that are maintained inline after chlorinators. They remove the
adsorbed chlorine, based on direction of water flow, among other things.
The purpose of these units is to remove the chlorine the chlorinators add to
the house water (which in turn are put in to remove Fe, sulphur, bacteria,
etc) before the chlorine makes it to the faucet.
Just a thought,
Greg

Old 29-06-2003, 11:08 PM
stacey

BenignVanilla wrote:

I want to avoid repeating my mistake of adding too much new water, and
killing my fish. I have dechlor but wonder if it is safe to top off without
it? I don't yet have a device for measuring gallons added, so I am forced to
use a 30 gallon rubbermaid, so you can imagine top offs take forever.

Can I safely add 3-4 inches of water without hurting anything? Should I just
add some dechlor anyway? Can you over dechlor?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

During a weekly clean of my 2000 gallon (UK) pond, I probably empty my
vortex twice. I just top up with a hosepipe set to vigorous spray, and
have never had any trouble. The koi actually come up and play in the
flow!
Old 30-06-2003, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Well ... it just depends, BV. What brand of Dechlor
are you using? Short answer is to go ahead and put "some"
dechlor in the pond. Better off with some in the water than
none at all.
"They" say you can top off 5% with no harm
done to the fish.

What Brand you are using?

I have...I think (I am at work, so I can't be sure)...it is Laguna's jug O'
dechlor. It was more cost effective then Amquel. I have used it already for
a partial water change, and it worked well, so I am happy with it. My
problem is, I did that water change 30 gallons at a time, I don't want to do
that ever again. *laugh*

BV.

Old 30-06-2003, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

m wrote:

I want to avoid repeating my mistake of adding too much new water, and
killing my fish. I have dechlor but wonder if it is safe to top off

without
it? I don't yet have a device for measuring gallons added, so I am forced

use a 30 gallon rubbermaid, so you can imagine top offs take forever.

Can I safely add 3-4 inches of water without hurting anything? Should I

just
add some dechlor anyway? Can you over dechlor?

How deep is the pond, and how many inches of water are you replacing?
That should be a good enough guide as to how much dechlor to use.

snip

I was purposely vague for this very reason. *laugh* My pond is 10' at it's
widest and 13' at it's longest. The depth ranges from 10'' to 42''. So the
top 5 inches holds a lot more water then the bottom 5 inches.

BV.

Old 30-06-2003, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"zookeeper" wrote in message
RichToyBox wrote:
[...]

My water pressure sucks so bad, that the flow is affected at the hose, if
someone takes a shower. I don't think I could use this method safely. I
think I'll head up to the Depot today and look for Lee's meter-thingamjig.

BV.