GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tadpoles part 2 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/34738-tadpoles-part-2-a.html)

Steve and Lisa 29-06-2003 12:44 PM

Tadpoles part 2

I asked earlier about bullfrog tadpoles getting their legs because mine had
none. Well lastnight I was checking the pond and what did I see but one of
the tadpoles now has 2 back legs! I was so excited, felt like a little kid
with a fantastic surprise gift. How long before he gets more legs? (He seems
to hide more than the ones with no legs).

Lisa

K30a 29-06-2003 05:56 PM

Tadpoles part 2

Bullfrog development depends a lot on the weather. Colder climates they take
longer to develop. Warmer climates they change a lot quicker.
I'm guessing you'll have a bullfrog, instead of a tadpole, before fall.
After his 'arms' show up, he'll absorb his tail and hang out more on the top of
the water and in the shallows.

k30a

Bob Adkins 29-06-2003 07:44 PM

Tadpoles part 2

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:53:31 GMT, "Steve and Lisa"
wrote:

I asked earlier about bullfrog tadpoles getting their legs because mine had
none. Well lastnight I was checking the pond and what did I see but one of
the tadpoles now has 2 back legs! I was so excited, felt like a little kid
with a fantastic surprise gift. How long before he gets more legs? (He seems
to hide more than the ones with no legs).

If it's a bull frog tadpole, you will know it. By the time bullfrog tadpoles
begin growing limbs, they are nearly a handful! They are huge compared to
others, and swim FAST, leaving a muddy wake on the bottom of the pond. They
are also shy than other tadpoles.

In these climes (near LA Gulf coast), bullfrog tadpoles take 2 seasons to
develop. They develop small limbs in late summer, over winter buried in the
mud, and metamorphose completely the next year in late spring or early
summer.

That's all I know about that.

Bob