Old 30-06-2003, 12:32 AM
EliezerE

Default Lotus Frustration

I got four lotus tubers, and watched three either rot or be unearthed and
chewed on by local vermin. I have one left, and I'm hoping that it will
survive the depradations to its leaves long enough to get established and bloom
this year. Has anyone else had the degree of frustration that I am having, or
did I just do everything wrong? And why do the tubers cost so darn much?
Old 30-06-2003, 01:21 AM
K30a

Eliezer wrote
Has anyone else had the degree of frustration that I am having,
yes!
or did I just do everything wrong?
no, I suppose we offended the pond goddess...
And why do the tubers cost so darn much?
Because practically everyone else has problems too?
;-)

k30a
Old 30-06-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"EliezerE" wrote in message
I got four lotus tubers, and watched three either rot or be unearthed and
chewed on by local vermin. I have one left, and I'm hoping that it will
survive the depradations to its leaves long enough to get established and

bloom
this year. Has anyone else had the degree of frustration that I am

having, or
did I just do everything wrong? And why do the tubers cost so darn much?

My neighbor gave me a couple of tubors this year to get my pond started. I
am starting to rethink having them. Mine are growing like gang busters. The
leaves are nearly 2 feet across. I was away this weekend, and I returned I
found one leafe sitting about 4 inches out of the water. Me thinks next
spring, I will have tubors to share. Stay tuned.

BV.

Old 30-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Nedra

BV ... sounds like you have some aerial leaves growing.
Isn't it exciting?
Are they in your clay-ey pond? I know they like clay soil.
Wait 'til you get that first blossom that is about 5 feet tall!
Beyond beautiful ....

Nedra the lotus lover

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 30-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

I live with lots of critters. So far nothing has bothered the lotus and
it's in a buried container, very easy to get into. By any chance, did you
put blood or bone meal into the container?
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take
an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and
depart. " Socrates

Old 30-06-2003, 03:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
BV ... sounds like you have some aerial leaves growing.
Isn't it exciting?
Are they in your clay-ey pond? I know they like clay soil.
Wait 'til you get that first blossom that is about 5 feet tall!
Beyond beautiful ....

I have a 30 gallon Rubbermaid sitting in the bottom of my pond, about 42
inches down. The tubers are planted in 5-6'' of clay.

You ask me if they are in a clay-ey pond. Surely you jest.

BV.

Old 30-06-2003, 07:23 PM
JSin

Wendy Kelly Budd wrote:
snip By any chance, did you
put blood or bone meal into the container?
--

:::::Having visions of some bizarre vampire ritual to get lotus to
grow:::::::

--
JSin
Lost Generation Custom Tattoo

Old 30-06-2003, 07:32 PM
K30a

JSin wrote
By any chance, did you

put blood or bone meal into the container?
--

:::::Having visions of some bizarre vampire ritual to get lotus to
grow:::::::

Remember Audrey?!

k30a
Old 30-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Hey, don't knock it! Some of us ponders will do ANYthing to get a certain
plant to grow.

Wendy* in N. California,

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we
fail." - Confucius

Old 01-07-2003, 02:56 AM
RichToyBox

I can't remember where I got this but, this recipe uses blood meal, bone
meal, and other fertilizers.
Lily Fertilizer

This fertilizer recipe was credited to Mr. Perry Slocum who has originated
and patented many of the lilies and lotus, including Mrs. Perry Slocum a
very fragrant lotus with large double flowers.

The recipe is based on mixing a bushel size container of soil.

1. Use good clay type garden soil.

2. Mix into the soil 1 cup of bone meal.

3. Mix into the soil 1 cup of granular fertilizer with a high middle
number such as 10-20-10. The larger middle number is for blooms.

4. Add about 8 large Agriform fertilizer tablets around the edge of
the container. (If you cannot find Agriform tablets, use Jobe's Tomato
Spikes).

5. Mix into the soil 1 cup of dried blood meal.

Make sure all is mixed well. Top with pea gravel or larger to keep the fish
out

Stand back and watch and "listen" to them grow. After about 3 weeks in this
soil ad new tablets every 2 weeks.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-07-2003, 04:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003
On BV's Clay-ey Pond
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

I have a 30 gallon Rubbermaid sitting in the bottom of my pond, about 42
inches down. The tubers are planted in 5-6'' of clay.

The container is 42 inches down? No wonder they're so big, once they hit
the surface they explode into the air. I thought, correct me if I'm so
wrong, that lotus are suppose to be less than 1/2 a foot under the surface.

You ask me if they are in a clay-ey pond. Surely you jest.
BV.

On BV Clay-ey pond? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 01-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Nedra

Rich, I'm glad to have the recipe from Mrs. Perry D Slocum.
I have it filed under IWGS.. I wonder if the gal who heads
up the lotus section at the IWGS website has it? I'll
find out and send it to her...
Although I wont use it on the lotuses in my lotus pond
this year. They are out-budding themselves. Guess that
long cold Spring did them some good. On second thought
I wonder if it would make them flower better if I use the
fertilizer sticks this year?? hmmm

Nedra

.. .

Old 01-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Nedra

Yep ... having the containers about 6" -12" below the
surface of the water is what I have heard ...
and what I did with my lotuses .... but who can
argue with BV's success?!

Nedra

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003

Old 01-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Wendy Kelly Budd

The reason I asked is many creatures will dig up land bulbs that were
planted with bonemeal. I lost my tulips & daffodils one night after they
were planted thanks to a critter looking for the bonemeal. I stopped using
bonemeal. I have no idea if there is a problem with water plants &
bonemeal, but wondered if this could be an answer to the original posters
question?
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Old 01-07-2003, 03:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

I have a 30 gallon Rubbermaid sitting in the bottom of my pond, about 42
inches down. The tubers are planted in 5-6'' of clay.

The container is 42 inches down? No wonder they're so big, once they hit
the surface they explode into the air. I thought, correct me if I'm so
wrong, that lotus are suppose to be less than 1/2 a foot under the

surface.

You ask me if they are in a clay-ey pond. Surely you jest.
BV.

On BV Clay-ey pond? ~ jan

I planted my lotus as per my neighbors suggestion. These went into the pond
months ago, before the conversations on proper methods were discussed. They
seem to be doing OK, but I plan to replant them next year. I hope to do a
lotus bog/pond up near the house, and then at some point link that pond to
my VF so the whole system is connected. When I build that bog, I plan to
make it only a few inches deep, and then I am going to just toss the tubors
in, no pots. This will be "their" pond.

RHS FRUSTRATION! Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 16 31-12-2009 12:46 PM
String trimmer frustration ctlady Gardening 6 14-07-2008 02:31 PM
Frustration!!! Ray B Orchids 1 29-09-2007 09:41 PM
potting mix frustration 0tterbot Australia 26 23-12-2006 05:13 AM