Old 02-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Matt

Default drinking straw filter works, I think

I built a filter out of 25,000 7.75"x0.125" straws about a month ago and
the water cleared a whole lot over the past few days. I'm not sure if
this has anything to do with it but I also added a bunch of iron,
potash, and epsom salts about a week before it cleared (much more than
anyone here ever suggests).

Old 02-07-2003, 05:32 AM
KMartin

what does potash and epsom salts do for a pond, plants, fish? I've seen
that remark about potash in a couple of spots, and 1)what is it and what
does it do? and 2)where do you get it? and 3) is it ok with fish and plants?

thanks, kym

Old 02-07-2003, 06:43 AM
John Rutz

KMartin wrote:
what does potash and epsom salts do for a pond, plants, fish? I've seen
that remark about potash in a couple of spots, and 1)what is it and what
does it do? and 2)where do you get it? and 3) is it ok with fish and plants?

thanks, kym

its potasium the second number in fertilizer like 10 10 10 or 10 30 15
for the life of me I cnt remember what epson salts do but they are
benificial to plants
neiter in normal doses will hurt fish

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 02-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Epsom salts provide manganese and helps to raise the GH in a pond. If you
had palm trees that were yellowing, and went out to buy palm tree
fertilizer, you would be buying manganese: at about 5X the cost of a bag of
epsom salts (same/same)

Lee

Old 02-07-2003, 06:57 PM
cpemma

Lee Brouillet wrote:
Epsom salts provide manganese and helps to raise the GH in a pond.
If you had palm trees that were yellowing, and went out to buy palm
tree fertilizer, you would be buying manganese: at about 5X the cost
of a bag of epsom salts (same/same)

*Magnesium* - but it does stop leaves yellowing, especially tomatoes in
grow-bags.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:32 PM
NJ

"KMartin" wrote in message
what does potash and epsom salts do for a pond, plants, fish? I've seen
that remark about potash in a couple of spots, and 1)what is it and what
does it do? and 2)where do you get it? and 3) is it ok with fish and

plants?

thanks, kym

Hi, Kym--

Muriate of Potash is a granular fertilizer that many of us use in our ponds.
I got mine at a regular old garden center; it was a 5 lb. bag for about 4
bucks. It will last me for years and years. The potash, when added to your
pond, provides food for the higher order floating plants, thus allowing them
to compete with the lower order plants (algae) and starve them out. It does
that very nicely, in my experience, and greens up any water lettuce, water
hyacinth, etc. that you have. I use a heaping teaspoon mixed with a quart
of pond water for my 750 gal. pond about every two weeks or so. My 4 water
lettuce plants have gone crazy shooting out "pups" and I now have nice 40%
coverage on my pond surface. The standard dosage is 1 Tbsp. per thousand
gallons about every two weeks, I think. I have 4 fish, and the muriate of
potash does no harm to them.

NJ

Old 07-07-2003, 03:23 PM
REBEL JOE

It keeps yor pants green and growing. I use it every 2 weeks,your
floating plants will stay in good shape and grow fast. Most garden shops
carry it or can get it.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Dave Bell

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, REBEL JOE wrote:

It keeps yor pants green and growing. I use it every 2 weeks,your

So THAT's what Mr. Green Jeans used!

Dave