Old 02-07-2003, 08:34 PM
Khoa Tran

Default How effective the vortex sediment chamber ?

Hi,
I'm building a 2000gal pond with a 1/4 hp pump and I do have a bubble bead
filter big enough for it. I'm thinking about adding a vortex sediment
chamber to ease my filter cleaning later. Just wonder if the addition of the
vortex is worthy. Will it trap a lot of solid stuffs that I will far less
often to backwash my filter or it just so so that I can do fine without it ?
Thanks for any response
Khoa

Old 02-07-2003, 09:45 PM
RichToyBox

I also have a bubblebead filter and added a vortex filter to the system
afterwards. The bubblebead filter has some fairly small slots in the pipe
inside. The larger debris will catch in the slots and restrict flow. The
debris that is caught is hard to get to release for backwashing. You do
need to have some form of prefilter to catch the big stuff. I also plumbed
my bubblebead with a couple extra valves and a bypass pipe. The bypass pipe
allows me to cut off the bubblebead during pond treatments. The first valve
is a three way valve that shuts off the water flow from the pump during
backwash, and allows the filter to drain to waste. The second valve is a
three way valve that shuts off the water flow to the pond, forcing water
into the top of the bubblebead, thereby assisting in the backwash. The
third valve is just a ball valve that is near the entrance at the bottom of
the filter to completely shut off the filter and allow the bypass to work,
without draining the filter.
--
RichToyBox

"Khoa Tran" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm building a 2000gal pond with a 1/4 hp pump and I do have a bubble bead
filter big enough for it. I'm thinking about adding a vortex sediment
chamber to ease my filter cleaning later. Just wonder if the addition of

the
vortex is worthy. Will it trap a lot of solid stuffs that I will far less
often to backwash my filter or it just so so that I can do fine without it

?
Thanks for any response
Khoa

Aquatic plant sediment test [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 12-06-2007 08:09 PM
green sediment fire fly Ponds 12 19-06-2006 03:13 PM
Sediment in Pond Paul Ponds 12 14-07-2004 10:07 PM
Execution Chamber! Bubba Ponds 10 28-01-2004 04:33 PM
Settling chamber plans Cybe R. Wizard Ponds 8 07-05-2003 05:08 AM