Old 05-07-2003, 04:44 PM
bobkiely

Default Moderated? and/or Attachments allowed?

Yesterday I posted a new post with an attachment of a small file 558kb and
it didn't appear. I called my NG server to ask why and they said that some
newsgroups are moderated and others simply don't allow attachments. Does
anyone know if that is the case here?

Thanks,
BK

Old 05-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Steve J. Noll

This newsgroup is not moderated.
As it is also a non-binary newsgroup, attachments are discouraged.
BTW: 558kb is certainly not "small"!

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 08:22:20 -0700, "bobkiely"
wrote:

Yesterday I posted a new post with an attachment of a small file 558kb and
it didn't appear. I called my NG server to ask why and they said that some
newsgroups are moderated and others simply don't allow attachments. Does
anyone know if that is the case here?

Thanks,
BK

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
Old 05-07-2003, 05:20 PM
John Rutz

bobkiely wrote:
Yesterday I posted a new post with an attachment of a small file 558kb and
it didn't appear. I called my NG server to ask why and they said that some
newsgroups are moderated and others simply don't allow attachments. Does
anyone know if that is the case here?

Thanks,
BK

I dont think we are moderated but this is a text only group,
most of us that post pics either have a website or use a free graphics
site
some of the others can point yoou in the direction of some good sites to
post on

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 05-07-2003, 05:20 PM
bobkiely

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a binary and then what does
"non-binary" mean? And on second thought I guess 558kb isn't small - the
part I want to understand is why does it matter?
BK

Old 05-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Johan Swenker

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:03:53 -0700, bobkiely wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a binary and then what does
"non-binary" mean? And on second thought I guess 558kb isn't small - the
part I want to understand is why does it matter? BK

In http://www.southcom.com.au/~geniac/binfaq.txt is explained
why binaries are removed from non-binary newsgroups.

In general a binary file is much larger than an non=binary file
(text file). Remember text files are typed by humans. Ech line
cost them a considerable effort. Binary files are generated by
computers. It isn't difficult to generate large files of over
100 kb. Examples of binary files are music (be it wav, mpr or mid),
word documents (.doc), images (.jpg, .gif, .png) and films.
Text files are just that: text files.

Main problem: server owners handle binary-newsgroups different
from text-newsgroups. We want rec.ponds to be handled like a text
group (with longer retention times).

Regards, Johan Swenker

Old 05-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Steve J. Noll

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:03:53 -0700, "bobkiely"
wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a binary and then what does
"non-binary" mean?

Binary means data files like photographs, music, or software code.
Non-binaries usually refers to plain text messages like you see in
this newsgroup. You will find lots of binary groups under
alt.binaries..... For example, there is an alt.binaries.aquaria
newsgroup that you might use to post your photo on, then refer
to it in a text post in rec.ponds.

And on second thought I guess 558kb isn't small - the
part I want to understand is why does it matter?

Everyone doesn't have DSL or a Cable Modem line. A file that size
can take a _very_ long time to download. It could hang
one's computer once they start such a download and
they might not be happy about that if they didn't realize just
how big the file was when they started.

It would be sweet if you had a web site. Then you could
post anything of interest there and just put a link to it in
a text post here, like http://www.kissingfrogs.tv .
Often a basic Internet Service Provider subscription
comes with several MB of web site space.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Hank Pagel

Since we are on the subject ..... If I try to insert a link, my
message does not post. Maybe someone can tell me what I am doing
wrong. Thanks in advance. If not proper on n/g than please fell free
to email me directly.

Old 05-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Dave Bell

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Hank Pagel wrote:

Since we are on the subject ..... If I try to insert a link, my
message does not post. Maybe someone can tell me what I am doing
wrong. Thanks in advance. If not proper on n/g than please fell free
to email me directly.

Links should be perfectly OK on text groups. It may be that whatever you
are using to read and post to Newsgroups is formatting it as HTML (Web
code) or some even worse binary-like code. It's very easy to insert a link
manually, and avoid any problems with the Newsreader client messing it up.

For most all readers, you can simply type in the URL (Web address), and
it's best to include the link type identifier in front. For example:

http://www.mvwgs.org/filter.htm

from an earlier message. "Smart", Web-aware readers should recognize that
as an URL (stands for Uniform Resource Locator, by the way), and highlight
it, indicating you can just click on it, to launch it in a browser window.
For readers that are a little more primitive, one would have to highlight
the whole thing, Copy, and Paste it into your browser...

Dave

Old 05-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Hank Pagel

nope! didn't work. I'm using Outlook Exp. v6 ... all settings are
for plain text and no code and still it will not post a link for my
web page. could copy and paste be a problem? Sorry to be a pain , but
it bugs me not to be able to figure something out.

Old 05-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Steve J. Noll

Hank:

Never heard of that problem! It really should work.
I'm using an old version of the Free Agent news program here.
When you create the message you want to post do you see
the link but it just won't post it - or are you not able to put
a link into the message you're typing to begin with?
I hope someone who's using OE6 can help.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:20 PM
John Rutz

Hank Pagel wrote:
Since we are on the subject ..... If I try to insert a link, my
message does not post. Maybe someone can tell me what I am doing
wrong. Thanks in advance. If not proper on n/g than please fell free
to email me directly.
"Steve J. Noll" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:03:53 -0700, "bobkiely"
wrote:

shouldnt have any problem posting a message with a link we all do it
(see sig tags )
could be a problem with the settings on your news reader is it set to
not send HTML

Old 06-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Hank Pagel

I have tried it both ways set for html and for plain text only. I have
posted vendors links but if my home page is in the message the
message will not post.

Old 06-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Hank Pagel

Just for the heck of it let me try web shots
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1