Old 03-03-2003, 06:29 PM
John Rutz

Default tech VF-bog question

as I am planning to abandon the bio-mechanical filters this summer and
see what a giant veggie filter will do for my pond. and after reading
(and comtributing to )all the pros and cons of rock and or soil in a
veggie filter bog heeres th queston with background for those of us
that dont remember--- roughly 8000 gal KOI pond 20x20 bog, two 2400 gal
mag drive pumps and trickle tower.

plants will be Iris, water celery, cattail, some rushes,(aprox 150
plants total)
now would it be best for the plants to root them in a couple inches of
base ball + sized river rock or a couple inces of clay soil?
the large plant baskets I use do stick out of the water about an inch
and realy dont have an astheticly pleasing look to them so Im looking at
posible alternatives.

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 03-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

John Rutz wrote:

the large plant baskets I use do stick out of the water about an inch
and realy dont have an astheticly pleasing look to them so Im looking at
posible alternatives.

Did you try to cut down the baskets, you can do it with a
sharp exacto knife. The baskets won't be a sturdy at the
rim, but they'll be the correct height. I'd try that before
I went out and sent more money.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 03-03-2003, 10:18 PM
John Rutz

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
John Rutz wrote:

the large plant baskets I use do stick out of the water about an inch
and realy dont have an astheticly pleasing look to them so Im looking
at posible alternatives.

Did you try to cut down the baskets, you can do it with a sharp exacto
knife. The baskets won't be a sturdy at the rim, but they'll be the
correct height. I'd try that before I went out and sent more money.

if I cut em down not sure if I could lift em without em colapsing on me
as some are twoxtwo laundry type baskets filled w rock and large plants
--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 03-03-2003, 10:18 PM
K30a

Before we discovered water plant baskets DH took a drill and drilled holes in
the sides of those
plastic 'clay pots'.

Someday, if we move, I was thinking about a veggie filter with plants with pea
gravel in burlap bundles.

In the top of my filter, where I usually float water hyacinths, I've been
putting in rubberband wrapped bunches of watercress. It was doing nicely until
we had our last in the teens cold snap then it seemed to sink. I notice it is
trying to come back. Will watch it for a while. SNOW may be coming this weekend
so I'll wait to add more.

k30a
Old 04-03-2003, 12:30 AM
Jerrispond

John....I use lava rock in milk crates.... I think you do NOT want to use any
soil. You want the roots to escape as soon and as far as possible to "eat" the
stuff from the fish pond..Remember I run a 2500 gallon goldfish pond, and a
10,000 gallon koi pond with no other filters....Jerri

Old 04-03-2003, 02:40 AM
John Rutz

Jerrispond wrote:
John....I use lava rock in milk crates.... I think you do NOT want to use any
soil. You want the roots to escape as soon and as far as possible to "eat" the
stuff from the fish pond..Remember I run a 2500 gallon goldfish pond, and a
10,000 gallon koi pond with no other filters....Jerri

thanks guys

guess Ill stay with the laundry baskets maybe this year i can find some
shorter ones
--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 04-03-2003, 07:05 PM
zookeeper

John, what about retrofitting your plant baskets? Cut them down to water
level or slightly below. Thread / weave fishing line or other sturdy
line across and through basket sides to create planting areas, (divide
basket into any number of pockets or chambers with line at bottom,
middle and top, etc.) put tall plants in center and have water celery or
watercress around edges to camouflage the baskets, add handles made out
of zip ties (as many as needed to support baskets while moving them),
voila!! You wouldn't need soil or rocks to support the plants as the
lines and other plants will hold them upright, so the baskets will be
lighter and easier to move, and there will be more room for roots to
grow and remove nutrients from the water.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper (OR)
3500g pond w/ 13 pond pigs,

John Rutz wrote:

as I am planning to abandon the bio-mechanical filters this summer and
see what a giant veggie filter will do for my pond ...
... background ...
roughly 8000 gal KOI pond 20x20 bog, two 2400 gal
mag drive pumps and trickle tower.

plants will be Iris, water celery, cattail, some rushes,(aprox 150
plants total)
[should I put plants in] a couple inches of

Old 04-03-2003, 08:04 PM
John Rutz

zookeeper wrote:
John, what about retrofitting your plant baskets? Cut them down to water
level or slightly below.

, add handles made out
of zip ties (as many as needed to support baskets while moving them),
voila!! You wouldn't need soil or rocks to support the plants as the
lines and other plants will hold them upright, so the baskets will be
lighter and easier to move, and there will be more room for roots to
grow and remove nutrients from the water.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper (OR)
3500g pond w/ 13 pond pigs,
2 sun worshipping pharaoh hounds,
and one "koi detective" lhasa apso
("don't bother me now, I gotta
keep an eye on those koi")

a good Idea Kathy exept where I am I have to deal with high winds so

I need the planting medium heavy enough to keep the taller
plants from blowing over ( I have one reed still in a pantyhose bag with
about 15 lbs of clay and it blows over at least once a week ) lasst week
one of my 4conected 55gal drum filters blew over so you can see what I
mean, and the windy season doesnt start for a month yet :-(

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 06-03-2003, 12:03 AM
~ jan

last week
one of my 4conected 55gal drum filters blew over so you can see what I
mean, and the windy season doesnt start for a month yet :-( John Rutz

Oh my! I guess that beats the wind we get here!!! Well I guess it could at
times blow hard enough to do that, but not in my protected yard space. Two
words John, Wind Break?

Speaking of, we've got wind today, DH has worked real hard to finally get
all the wood burned next to the one fence, guess what was protecting the
fence? DS had to brace it. s ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~