Old 12-07-2003, 07:32 AM
John Rutz

Default duckweed adventure

I bought a bushel ( 25lbs) of duckweed for my veggie filter figured it
would shade out some of the algae in there and use up what nutrieents
the plants didnt it only covered about 1/4 of the open water in my filter!

so much for prior planning i am guesing it would take 200-250 lbs to
cover it solid with out the plants that are in with it
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 12-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Big filter, John!

The duckweed grows like...a weed. It may do the job for you in a hurry, if
the koi don't get to it first.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 12-07-2003, 05:32 PM
joe

John Rutz wrote:

I bought a bushel ( 25lbs) of duckweed for my veggie filter figured it
would shade out some of the algae in there and use up what nutrieents
the plants didnt it only covered about 1/4 of the open water in my filter!

so much for prior planning i am guesing it would take 200-250 lbs to
cover it solid with out the plants that are in with it

250 pounds? That seems a staggering quantity. Probably the 25 lbs you bought
will be 250 by next week anyway!

Joe

Old 12-07-2003, 06:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message
I bought a bushel ( 25lbs) of duckweed for my veggie filter figured it
would shade out some of the algae in there and use up what nutrieents
the plants didnt it only covered about 1/4 of the open water in my

filter!

so much for prior planning i am guesing it would take 200-250 lbs to
cover it solid with out the plants that are in with it

Give it a couple of weeks. I dumped two freezer bags of it in my pond, and
in about 2-3 weeks, it is covered, and I am pulling it out by the handfull.

BV.

Old 12-07-2003, 08:20 PM
bobkiely

*LOL* I know the feeling... I bought what I thought was plenty to cover 1/2
my little pond and when I got it home and put it in.....WHAT??? barely
covered an 1/8 of the pond *LOL*

Old 12-07-2003, 08:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message
I bought a bushel ( 25lbs) of duckweed for my veggie filter figured it
would shade out some of the algae in there and use up what nutrieents
the plants didnt it only covered about 1/4 of the open water in my

filter!

so much for prior planning i am guesing it would take 200-250 lbs to
cover it solid with out the plants that are in with it

I left a quick response before, but had to run out, coincidently enough, to
mail some duckweed to some PORGs. Anyway, I have a 3000 gallon or so pond,
including my VF so I have lots of surface area. 2 zip lock bags full of
duckweed have overtaken my pond, and now have roots about 6-8 inches long.
Check out my latest pics on my web site, so you can see how this stuff
spreads, http://darofamily.com/jeff/easyurl/pondphotos.htm.

The plants have done wonders for my water. I think they are a major
contributer to my clay reduction solution. Now that the water has cleared a
bit, and I have been able to share some, I plan to start culling the
duckweed back a bit, so I can see the water in the pond.

Everyone is welcome to whatever I can cull.

BV.

Old 13-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Bill Marcy

You do know that Duckweed reproduces itself everyday...right?