Old 12-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Floating plant seems to be frogbit

BV, Just looked at your vf pics. Great growth. Here is a source for
frogbit drawings. Think that is the plant we gave you.

http://msucares.com/pubs/infosheets/is1030.htm

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
"John Rutz" wrote in message
I bought a bushel ( 25lbs) of duckweed for my veggie filter figured it
would shade out some of the algae in there and use up what nutrieents
the plants didnt it only covered about 1/4 of the open water in my

filter!

so much for prior planning i am guesing it would take 200-250 lbs to
cover it solid with out the plants that are in with it

I left a quick response before, but had to run out, coincidently enough,

mail some duckweed to some PORGs. Anyway, I have a 3000 gallon or so pond,
including my VF so I have lots of surface area. 2 zip lock bags full of
duckweed have overtaken my pond, and now have roots about 6-8 inches long.
Check out my latest pics on my web site, so you can see how this stuff
spreads, http://darofamily.com/jeff/easyurl/pondphotos.htm.

The plants have done wonders for my water. I think they are a major
contributer to my clay reduction solution. Now that the water has cleared

bit, and I have been able to share some, I plan to start culling the
duckweed back a bit, so I can see the water in the pond.

Everyone is welcome to whatever I can cull.

BV.

Old 13-07-2003, 04:08 AM
BenignVanilla

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message .. .
BV, Just looked at your vf pics. Great growth. Here is a source for
frogbit drawings. Think that is the plant we gave you.

The frogbit is doing nicely. And the funny part, is the frogs love it. The
leaves are just buoyant enough that they can sit on a patch and not sink. My
WH is moving slowly, so today I moved some duckweed in to the VF. It'll be
competing with the frogbit by tomorrow I am sure.

BV.