Old 14-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Bruce

Default eggs in pond/more info

Great info, a couple more things. There was much chasing and splashing by
these certain two koi. The water has gotten murky all of a sudden too.
So looking to see this koi to check if she is skinnier will have to
wait until after work today. The one koi did keep hitting the other
broadside and following.
On another note, I do have to many fish in my pond, but all has worked
fine till this( meaning clear water) I have 5, 13"-14" koi
I raised from 2-3". Also I harvested the comets down to 4 earlier in the
year
and HAD a beautiful 21" golden catfish that died the start of the
feeding season
this year and upon dissection looked like the stomack swelled up when the
tetra food expanded in the stomach and apparently blocked the intestines
cause
they were empty. The pond was made in 1998 so thats how old the fish are.
Thanks,
Bruce
I did notice they weren't eating their food!

Bruce,

Koi and goldfish both are egg layers. It sounds as if there was a spawn,
but from your post, I doubt that it was the koi. Koi usually aren't old
enough to spawn at 13". The koi would have lost most of its size during the
spawn, not gotten bigger. The female koi will look really skinny following
the egg laying. The act of spawning by koi, (I don't know about goldfish)
is very violent. The male will be pushing and shoving the female against
the sides of the pond, plant baskets or anything else, and you will think he
is trying to push her out of the pond, no simple nudging. Usually for the
first two or three days they eat the eggs as fast as they can. Between the
milt from the male, which is nearly pure protein, and the additional load of
eating, the ammonia level will go very high and burn the gills if not
treated. The fish staying under the waterfall may be showing the signs of
ammonia burns. Check the ammonia and if it is high, add amquel to bind the
ammonia into the non-toxic ammonium. Since the filter changes the ammonia
to nitrites, the nitrites will also go very high, and cause suffocation, by
causing brown blood disease. Check the nitrites and if high, add salt to
get a 0.1% salt level. Don't feed until all of the eggs are gone or
hatched, such that you don't see them. I suspect the spawn was the comets.

Good luck.

Old 15-07-2003, 12:32 AM
RichToyBox

Please run the ammonia and nitrite tests. I would bet they are off the
scale meaning the water is toxic to the fish.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-07-2003, 02:52 AM
Bruce

I got your post after a 35% water change and found my ammonia test
kit I never used and the test came out to 3.0," fatal for sensitive
species. Breakdown of nitrification."
Are there any home remedies(chemicals) to fix this besides amquel as we
are far
from ANY pet type shop?
Can, should I do another water change?
Thanks for your help!
Bruce

Old 15-07-2003, 03:12 AM
RichToyBox

Bruce,

If your water is not treated with chloramines, then massive water changes
will dilute the level significantly. Water treated with chloramines has
ammonia in it, so it becomes very hard to reduce the ammonia level with
water changes. If you can reduce pH to about 7.4, the ammonia becomes
non-toxic, but if your pond is like mine with a pH of around 8, it means
killing the carbonate hardness and the filter bacteria will suffer. In my
pond, it took about 3 or 4 days for the ammonia to be consumed by the
bacteria in the pond, but the nitrite spike took longer to get through.
--
RichToyBox

"Bruce" wrote in message

I got your post after a 35% water change and found my ammonia test
kit I never used and the test came out to 3.0," fatal for sensitive
species. Breakdown of nitrification."
Are there any home remedies(chemicals) to fix this besides amquel as we
are far
from ANY pet type shop?
Can, should I do another water change?
Thanks for your help!
Bruce

Please run the ammonia and nitrite tests. I would bet they are off the
scale meaning the water is toxic to the fish.

Pond Turtle Burrowing, Pictures, not sure if laying Eggs bbrown9506 Ponds 2 27-08-2005 09:35 AM
Looking for frog eggs for pond Russell Texas 22 12-08-2004 09:05 AM
great place for more pond info WilsonKKW Ponds (alternative) 0 26-05-2004 06:10 PM
eggs in pond/THANKS!! Bruce Ponds 2 16-07-2003 07:20 AM
need help to identify eggs in pond Bruce Ponds 6 15-07-2003 12:24 AM