Old 14-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Carl Beyer

Default Odd Koi Behavior questoin

I have a small pond (500 gallons). I have been given 2 koi as a gift.
One is 18" the other is around 6. The smaller is a butterfly koi.

Anyway, the butterfly koi seems to swim under the big koi, sort of
hanging in it's shadow.

Just wanted to make sure this is normal, and not something else I need
to worry about.

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Bern Muller

"Carl Beyer" wrote in message
I have a small pond (500 gallons). I have been given 2 koi as a gift.
One is 18" the other is around 6. The smaller is a butterfly koi.

Anyway, the butterfly koi seems to swim under the big koi, sort of
hanging in it's shadow.

Just wanted to make sure this is normal, and not something else I need
to worry about.

I would not worry. Behavioral deviancy among koi is extremely rare. :-)

Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Lee Brouillet

Sounds like the little one is just lookin' for some shade! Maybe even a
little protection - they're very social, and if they were both just moved,
it would be normal to have them stay close to each other until they get used
to the new surroundings.

Keep a very close eye on ammonia and nitrItes: an 18" fish can produce a lot
of "stuff", and your filter may not be ready for it!

Lee

Old 15-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Kevin Carbis

Carl Beyer wrote in message ...
I have a small pond (500 gallons). I have been given 2 koi as a gift.
One is 18" the other is around 6. The smaller is a butterfly koi.

Anyway, the butterfly koi seems to swim under the big koi, sort of
hanging in it's shadow.

Just wanted to make sure this is normal, and not something else I need
to worry about.

Carl

I have four large Koi. I just built them a big new environment of
5,000 gallons and they still hang out together, much as you describe.
They seem to be very social creatures. They also don't like sun much,
at least mine don't, so when its sunny them seem to huddle underneath
each other.

New Koi Behavior V.V. Ponds 5 25-08-2005 03:35 AM
Odd goldfish behavior during rain Mike Patterson Ponds 11 06-07-2004 08:02 PM
Odd neon tetra behavior with CO2 François Arsenault Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 15-12-2003 10:34 PM
Greg/jan/others - H2O Hardness indicated, help was Strange Koi behavior, now dead. K30a Ponds 1 18-05-2003 06:44 AM
Strange Koi Behavior itten Ponds 13 17-05-2003 02:56 AM