Old 16-07-2003, 07:21 AM
160meters

Default dig vertical walls - racoons won't bother koi

I have had a pond for quite a few years, and every night the racoons come up
from the river, about 60 feet away, and not once have they bothered my fish.
The walls are vertical, pond is over 3 feet deep, they will *not* go into
the water if they can't touch bottom. We probably have a hundred racoons in
the half mile radius, the Trask River is about 10 - 30 feet deep now, and
never has there been a problem

http://www.oregoncoast.com/blondie/digging2.htm click on the racoon pix
at top. I never ever feed these wild animals, by the way.

They were here first, I am the encroacher, don't mess with Mother Nature...
She'll getcha!

Sue

"bobkiely" wrote in message
IFSKR: Hey....I might have rushed to judgement about the coyote urine when

said it doesn't work....I'm now undecided. I didn't take it back like I
said I was going to and it has been there for 8 days and he only came back
the one time.

I'm going to let it ride a little longer before I make up my mind. As you
may have seen me write...we DO have coyotes here.
BK

Old 16-07-2003, 08:29 AM
jammer

Those are so so cute. I know some ponders are having heck with them,
but if i could just see some ever! Thanks for the pix.

Old 16-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Theo van Daele

Great pictures Sue. They do look kinda cute indeed :-) Personally I
have only Maine coons around the pond, but at least the tails are very
similar ;-)

Vertical walls is good advice I think. Also makes life a bit more
difficult for herons.

Theo

Old 16-07-2003, 03:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"160meters" wrote in message
I have had a pond for quite a few years, and every night the racoons come

up
from the river, about 60 feet away, and not once have they bothered my

fish.
The walls are vertical, pond is over 3 feet deep, they will *not* go into
the water if they can't touch bottom. We probably have a hundred racoons

in
the half mile radius, the Trask River is about 10 - 30 feet deep now, and
never has there been a problem

http://www.oregoncoast.com/blondie/digging2.htm click on the racoon pix
at top. I never ever feed these wild animals, by the way.

They were here first, I am the encroacher, don't mess with Mother

Nature...
She'll getcha!

Sure...I agree. Animals on our land is a people problem, not an animal
problem. Of course I have not had a critter destroy my pond yet, so I'll
retract my opinion for now. *laugh*

Your pond is fantastic. Very natural. Those raccoon statues look so real.

BV.

Old 17-07-2003, 01:30 AM
jammer

Yep, Maine coons in Texas, that is what i have!

Old 17-07-2003, 01:40 AM
Hank Pagel

I don't think the east coast raccoons here in New Jersey subscribe to
the same magazines as the west coast bandits. After their raids the
like to take a dip in the swimming pool. All evidence (foot prints,
sand on bottom of pool and wet concrete) points to them entering and
exiting from the deep end and not at the ladder. Anyway I have
relocated three this year and five last year and will probably
continue to do it in the future. They have never harmed my fish just
snails, frogs and VF plants torn apart.
Great photos and beautiful pond and web page.

Old 17-07-2003, 01:56 AM
K30a

Raccoons can swim.
Our ponds are set up so nicely so they why
bother to swim?
They are also so well fed in suburbia that if your pond is too bothersome to
deal with they'll just amble on to the next tasty garbage can.

k30a