Old 17-07-2003, 06:05 PM
John Hines

Default Does size matter...when stocking Koi in your pond... :)

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

"K30a" wrote in message

Pond size: close estimate of 3,000 gallons
Koi: 5
Goldfish and mutts: 30ish
Rosie Reds: all eaten by bullfrogs
(BV try inviting a few hit frogs to SH's pond.)

We have a small mafia of frogs. We had six but apparently he was whacked.
The remaining five just sit there, and pretend not to be seen. NOBODY IS
EATING MY MINNOWS!!! Once a week or so, I catch a bunch and set them loose
in my aquarium. My tinfoils love them, I am just not sure they can eat them
all.

I thought, probably from too many tv beer ads, that frogs caught insects
with their tounge? At least the ones we want with our ponds.

A pet shop by me had northern pike, and muskie (4-6") one time. I asked
and yes, they were captive bred and legal. I got my koi and plants from
them this year, I don't know what else they got.
Old 17-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Chad wrote:
I would like to know how many koi rec.ponder's are really stocking in
their ponds. I have seen the recommended stock postings, yet I wonder
what is really being done by the average pond enthusiast.

My ponds combined are a little under 5000 gallons. Koi pond
has 10 large koi and maybe 10-12 yearlings I haven't caught
yet. Goldfish pond has about 40 goldfish and 4 orfe.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 17-07-2003, 06:59 PM
John Hines

John Hines wrote:

(K30a) wrote:

BV wrote All of my in-laws now live in MD, as of two weeks ago. I think what
you are
saying is I am actually dead?

So Heaven is in Maryland, who'da thought?

We KNOW clay hell is.

Sorry,

We KNOW where clay hell is.
Old 17-07-2003, 06:59 PM
FBCS

Not me!
We are Marylanders and are always running to West VA.
"K30a" wrote in message
BV wrote All of my in-laws now live in MD, as of two weeks ago. I think

what
you are
saying is I am actually dead?

So Heaven is in Maryland, who'da thought?
;-)

k30a

Old 17-07-2003, 06:59 PM
FBCS

That's the truth, we've been sentenced to hard labor here.
And it's time to enlarge my pond!.

Old 17-07-2003, 07:29 PM
BenignVanilla

"FBCS" wrote in message
Not me!
We are Marylanders and are always running to West VA.

snip

Yes, we too do oft run to Va and West Va.

BV.

Old 17-07-2003, 07:29 PM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:
"zookeeper" wrote

BV, in your case, are you trying to find the upper limit of
"overstocking" for Rosie Reds? Or is this part of the "pond shop"
inventory?

snip

To be honest I have not been able to find a test kit to tell me the ppm of
water in my rosie red pond.

BEOKAM or C\NK!! Okay, so it took me only 3 tries to understand what
type of test kit you were trying to locate!! Guess that means its too
early to read newsgroup messages.
--
zookeeper

Old 17-07-2003, 07:30 PM
zookeeper

rtk wrote:

BenignVanilla wrote:
Updated counts:

Rosie Reds: 10,123,004

What a coincidence! Last time I counted the guppies in my turtle tank I
had exactly the same number: 10,123,004.

Wow, do you two have tons of time on your hands or what?!!!! Or has
someone invented the automatic "fish fry counter?" Although, come to
think of it, that's the same number of mosquito larvae found in our
mosquito dunk treated swimming pool last month.
--
zookeeper

Old 18-07-2003, 12:13 AM
jammer

On 17 Jul 2003 15:47:39 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

BV wrote I was actually referring to the other place

Oh, I thought that place was all confined to the
District of Columbia...

k30a

Nope, Texas.

Old 19-07-2003, 08:42 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Koi Ponds total size: 1,500 gallons 1995
Koi: 17 this spring, sold 2 early on,but not soon enough, 2 sick and out of
pond one of which is now deceased. 1st case of illness I've every had, as I
failed to lower the stocking rate soon enough as koi grew. (

Lilypond: 1,000 gallons
Fancy Goldfish: 5 only (that may all be female) w/a few tadpoles left.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 19-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Sam Hopkins

Size doesn't matter when stocking. When stocking fish you have two things to
contend with:

Quality of life for a fish. You can keep a 18" koi alive in 1 gallon of
water but what kind of life is that? The 1000 gallons for the first koi is
so it has room to move freely.

Amount of waste and what you do with that waste. If you do a 100% water
change every day you can again keep a 18" koi alive in 1 gallon of water.
Instead of replacing water to reduce the amount of waste some people filter
the waste through bio filters to convert it and then use plants to absorb
it. There's no difference between he two. With each you're getting rid of
the waste. Now I doubt it's possible to do a water change with city water
for a 5,000 gallon pond every week just for the sheer cost of it. Even well
water costs money in electricity to pump it out of the ground not to mention
the time it'd take to do it.

Sam

"Chad" wrote in message
om...
I would like to know how many koi rec.ponder's are really stocking in
their ponds. I have seen the recommended stock postings, yet I wonder
what is really being done by the average pond enthusiast.

Preface, As of right now I have an approximate 1500 gallon pond with 5
Koi, 2 comets, 3 feeder goldfish(Don't really want them - just
inherited them) and hundreds of mosquito fish. In addition I have
ton's of WH, 5 water Lilies, Hornwort, Anacharis and a bunch of
marginals. But that is not where I started....

I built my first pond when I was 13, my dad bought a tetra flexible
liner and I dug the hole and put it in. We used this for a couple of
years then I swithed to fiberglass stock tanks then finally to
preformed liners. I had never had anything larger than 200 gallons.
For the first 8 years I had no plants at all - just fish. I started
with 12 Koi. Yes, 12. Nedra... get up off the floor. They were
all around 2-3 inches when I bought them. The first 2 years I kept
them outside in the summer and inside during the winter. Then in the
summer of my third year I was cleaning the pond when I had to leave
for a while and I accidently left the pump draining the pond.
Needless to say I lost 7 fish. Some to the lack of water, others to
sunburning. The remaining 5 fish stayed in the pond year round after
that. I never used chemicals for algae, nor did I have ANY
filtration. Frequent well water changes where it. We lost 3 of the
five during the 5 years I was at college. Not all at once, nor in the
same year. My remaining two fish stayed at my parents house until
1998 when I moved them to my 200 gallon pond I put in at my new house.
This was the first time they had ever had a filter, in addition I
started to use algae controllers since I was on city water and
couldn't change it like I did before. 3 years ago I almost lost both
of them to disease after a really cold winter and bad sludge problems
in the pond. At this time I had the two original fish plus 1 of the
koi mentioned above and the two comets in the pond. I medicated them
with a ton of medication and brought them back from sick curled up
floaters to healthy fish. Later that year I lost one of the two
original to the same disease. The other made it until last year when
he mysteriously died while I was on vacation. I examined him but
there was no sign of disease. He was 16 years old and had spent his
life in less than 200 gallons and was the friendliest fish I have ever
had.

So, I have read the rules. I have seen the wolves (maybe raccoon's is
more appropriate) attack those who admit to not following the rules,
yet my experience breaks the rules. I don't see many postings from
those who are apparently overstocking. Perhaps they are scared of the
raccoon's like I was. I know I cannot be the only one who has done
this, so I am curious what others are really doing.

Old 20-07-2003, 08:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Update: 2nd fish was put down after found floating on side still breathing,
it would have been a major miracle if it had lived anyway. Another victim,
with small ulcers, has been pulled from pond, hopefully at an earlier stage
to rescue.

This one was also scraped for a microscope slide, behind gill, vent and
just before the tail, nothing found.

If anyone is thinking of using Tricide Neo, talk to me. I've tried several
methods as described on Dr.J's website, so I'm somewhat experienced on the
good, ugly & scaley of the methods listed. ~ jan

Old 20-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Tom La Bron

Jan,

Since you were disposing of the fish anyway you should have done a gill
scraping.

Tom L.L.

Old 20-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Nedra

Jan,
The illness of your fish has me rather worried. Our ponds are
the same age and I've never had a sickness either.... (fingers and toes are
crossed). I know you closely watch the quality of
the water - But, isn't your filter supposed to take care of things like
this? How could fish get ulcers without something showing in the
tests?

Nedra