Old 17-07-2003, 02:22 PM
LeeAnne

Default My Science Project :-)

In the interest of finding out what, exactly, those little wiggly things are
in my pond I scooped out a couple and am leaving them in a container for a
few days to see what develops. I know mosquitos don't take too long to
'grow up' so I'm keeping my eye on them.

Got a bunch of interesting stuff out of my mini-pond, including dragon fly
larvae (yay!), those mystery wiggly things, small beetle like things that
look like grains of pepper cruising around, small flesh-colored things a
little bigger than those grains of pepper (tons of the black ones, like
100's and 100's) and a lesser, but still a good amount, of the fleshy
colored ones. Also a strange blood red worm about 3/4 of an inch long
w/what looked like pincer things at one of it's ends (but they looked almost
soft and useless).

I put everything back except the mystery wiggly things and a few unfortunate
pepper grains that are now part of my project. I think there are three or 4
wiggly things in my project container, and only 1 is behaving like a
mosquito larvae by hanging near the surface.

Anybody know what any of this stuff might be?

Thank you
LeeAnne
It's amazing what a couple scoops of water may yield.

PS - If I put mosquito fish (are those rosier reds or different?) will they
eat the dragon fly larvae? I'd much rather have the DF's.

--
------
If you're an insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic do you lay

Old 17-07-2003, 03:32 PM
K30a

Hi LeeAnne,

We could be sisters ;-)
I always have jars of critters in the house trying to figure out what they are.

The best way to view them is to pour some into a Wedgewood White china dish,
use a pen flashlight and a good magnifying glass.

The best book I have found for identifying odds and sods in your pond is a
little book titled POND LIFE by George K. Reid, Ph.D.
It is out of print but can be found for under $10 from Barnes and Noble lists
of used book dealers.

This is a good web page
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/con...s-general.html

I have seed shrimp swimming around in one of my fishless pondlets, they look
like manic sesame seeds on speed.

Let us know what you find out!

k30a
Old 17-07-2003, 03:32 PM
K30a

LeeAnne wrote PS - If I put mosquito fish (are those rosier reds or
different?) will they
eat the dragon fly larvae? I'd much rather have the DF's.

The rosies will eat them when the dragonfly nymphs when they are small enough.
Then the dragonfly nymphs will get bigger and in turn eat the rosie red babies.
So it probably all comes out even in the end.

k30a
Old 17-07-2003, 04:04 PM
LeeAnne

I'd rather have the DF's than the fishies - do they sell mosquito fish at
regular pet stores or do I need to go to a pond place?

Also, as far as your jars go - how do you keep stuff alive, or do you just
examine and then release?

Oh, and I saw a snail, small w/a blackish shell. I figured he was doing
some cleaning. But I could be wrong - are they bad?

LeeAnne

Old 17-07-2003, 04:56 PM
K30a

LeeAnne wrote
I'd rather have the DF's than the fishies - do they sell mosquito fish at

regular pet stores or do I need to go to a pond place?

Mosquito fish will also chow down on dragonfly nymphs. The dragonfly nymphs
will chow down on mosquito larvae. But to be extra cautious in these West Nile
times you can use Mosquito Bits (enter in google and you'll find lots of places
to purchase the product).

Also, as far as your jars go - how do you keep stuff alive, or do you just

examine and then release?

Usually examine and release.
I do have a jar full of tadpoles who are going to have to go into the frog bog
soon.
And I have seed shimp and tiny snails in an enclosed environment that has been
going for years. It contains some anacharis, the seed shrimp and the snails and
is self maintaining - my answer to the expensive 'Nasa' enclosed globes only
mine as a stopper in it.

Oh, and I saw a snail, small w/a blackish shell. I figured he was doing

some cleaning. But I could be wrong - are they bad?

Snails for the most part are good. I wouldn't take any from a natural pond as
snails can harbor parasites. But the snails that ride in on plants usually are
fine. He will eat decaying plants, if you see him chowing down on a brand new
lily pad then he needs to go.

The snails I keep inside I feed frozen organic lettuce if they run out of stuff
to eat.

k30a

Old 17-07-2003, 05:59 PM
John Hines

"LeeAnne" wrote:

In the interest of finding out what, exactly, those little wiggly things are
in my pond I scooped out a couple and am leaving them in a container for a
few days to see what develops. I know mosquitos don't take too long to
'grow up' so I'm keeping my eye on them.

I've found large magnifying glasses at office supply stores. Now I just
have to find mine...
Old 17-07-2003, 06:14 PM
LeeAnne

Maybe you'll need a larger magnifying glass to find the one you lost? ;-)

I have a magnifying glass - but it doesn't really do any good as far as the
wigglers go.

Anybody know a good website w/pics of pond-wormy things?

Old 18-07-2003, 12:02 AM
jammer

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:09:21 -0400, "LeeAnne"
wrote:

Maybe you'll need a larger magnifying glass to find the one you lost? ;-)

I have a magnifying glass - but it doesn't really do any good as far as the
wigglers go.

Anybody know a good website w/pics of pond-wormy things?

http://academics.smcvt.edu/dfacey/Aq...uito_larva.htm

I cant find a really good picture...
Old 18-07-2003, 12:52 AM
John Hines

wrote:

Maybe you'll need a larger magnifying glass to find the one you lost? ;-)

I have a magnifying glass - but it doesn't really do any good as far as the
wigglers go.

Anybody know a good website w/pics of pond-wormy things?

http://academics.smcvt.edu/dfacey/Aq...uito_larva.htm

I cant find a really good picture...

Got a bait shop by you? G

I remember getting them before fishing for yellow perch, unsuccessfully.

Old 18-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Bill Ranseen

A really good book for identifying pond critters is "Fresh Water
Invertebrates of the United States" by Robert W. Pennak. May be
overkill for what you're trying to do, but I doubt if you'll find
anything that isn't described here. Very well illustrated, too.
Old 18-07-2003, 02:42 PM
LeeAnne

thank you for that link - I wish I knew how big or small that sucker is in
the picture.

Mine still don't hang at the top in the 'science project' container -
they're on the bottom.

Here's a website w/some shots of my yard - the "pond" is on the 2nd page
(scroll to bottom of first page for links)
www.chewedtoast.com

LeeAnne

Old 18-07-2003, 04:23 PM
K30a

LeeAnne wrote www.chewedtoast.com

Wow! Those flowers!
Liked the pond and birdy pictures too.

We are off today to visit g'parents in Oregon.
Everyone have a nice weekend, supposed to get to 105 here but high 80s where
we're going. whew!

k30a