Old 17-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default Brown spots on leaves?

I know it will be hard for you to answer this without all the details and specs of my pond, but maybe if you've had a similar experience it will ring a bell with you. I have a 4000 gallon pond in it's fourth year, and everything is wonderful. Clear water, healthy fish, spawning, hatching, lily buds, etc.

Within the past week I have added some potash and some baking soda, but not on the same day. Today I noticed that a LOT of the plants leaves, (hyacinth, lily pads) have lots of big brown patches on them, even the lily pads that are still UNDER the water. Did one of the two additives I put in do this or is it just coincidence? I can't imagine either of them causing that kind of damage.
Sue
Old 17-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Hank Pagel

It may be time to put a new Sears catalogue in the out house ;-) I'm sorry
but could not resist.

IMO sounds like low iron.

Old 18-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Weldon Wallick

I have seen the same thing in my small pond, the brown spots, that is.

AND, I tend to think it comes from the use of potash - maybe a little
too much - don't know. Gonna quit it for a while and see what happens
- or doesn't happen.

I also use baking soda to keep the ph above the acid range.

OTOH, it may be related to the awful heat here in Florida.?

WLW

Old 19-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Sue Alexandre

I'm betting it's the potash, too, because it's the only thing that is "new"
to my pond. I've been using baking soda for all of the four years the pond
has been in existence, but only this year tried potash to help my plants.
Guess it backfired on me. And no, they don't look quite like the brown
spots you get from the heat, they're even on the leaves that haven't made it
to the surface of the water yet. Besides, Connecticut isn't that hot.
Sue

Old 19-07-2003, 03:42 AM
john rutz

Sue Alexandre wrote:
I'm betting it's the potash, too, because it's the only thing that is "new"
to my pond. I've been using baking soda for all of the four years the pond
has been in existence, but only this year tried potash to help my plants.
Guess it backfired on me. And no, they don't look quite like the brown
spots you get from the heat, they're even on the leaves that haven't made it
to the surface of the water yet. Besides, Connecticut isn't that hot.
Sue

I use potash in my pond quite often, I have a bag where the potash is in
about 3/4x3/4 egg shaped chunks I used t o figure one chunk per ounce
but latly I have just grabbed 2-3 double handfulls roughly a quart of
these and put em in the pond,, Im guessing maybe 3-5 oz per 1000gal
and I havent seen any spots on any of my plants, my ph runs about 8 - 8.5

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 19-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Weldon Wallick

It must be the potash since you have made that change just this year.

I am trying to figure out why potash would cause such a problem. Found
the following info, FWIW:

Potassium/Potash (K): Potassium protects plants against stresses.
Potassium protects plants from cold winter temperatures and helps them
to resist invasion by pests such as weeds and insects. Potassium stops
wilting, helps roots stay in one place and assists in transferring
food. Potassium is a regulator. It activates plant enzymes and ensures
the plant uses water efficiently. Potassium is also responsible for
making sure the food you buy is fresh. Where does K come from? The
element potassium is seventh in order of abundance in the Earth's
crust. Through long-term natural processes K filters into the oceans
and seas. Over time, these bodies of water evaporate, leaving behind
mineral deposits. Although some of these deposits are covered with
several thousands of feet of earth, it is mined as potash or potassium
chloride. Potash ore may be used without complex chemical conversion;
just some processing is necessary to remove impurities such as common
salt.

Maybe we need an agronomist.

WLW

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:19:47 -0400, "Sue Alexandre"
wrote:

I'm betting it's the potash, too, because it's the only thing that is "new"
to my pond. I've been using baking soda for all of the four years the pond
has been in existence, but only this year tried potash to help my plants.
Guess it backfired on me. And no, they don't look quite like the brown
spots you get from the heat, they're even on the leaves that haven't made it
to the surface of the water yet. Besides, Connecticut isn't that hot.
Sue

.. .

Old 19-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Sue Alexandre

Hi Weldon. That was interesting info about potash, but you're right - it
still doesn't verify/explain why my leaves are getting brown spots. I guess
we can chalk it up to that old saying "too much of anything is not good".
Potash sounds like it should be great for plants, but in excess it probably
has the opposite affect. I am not very good at measuring, pretty relaxed
about it, actually, so I probably overdid it, thinking "if a little is good,
a lot should be great!" Thanks for the info.

Old 19-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Hank Pagel

Sue, All kidding aside. I don't use either potash or baking soda and
every year I get the same brown spots. Even on my marginals. My well
water has almost no iron in it. If I add iron spots do not return on
new foliage.

"Hank Pagel" wrote in message
news It may be time to put a new Sears catalogue in the out house

;-)

Old 20-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Weldon Wallick

In what form do you add "iron"?

Just thought, adding potash might be a problem with low iron. Such
things do happen with plants.