Old 22-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Bob Adkins

Default O/T - Box Turtle diet

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:52:13 GMT, "Anne Lurie" wrote:

[my apologies for cross-posting this with triangle.gardens, but I know that
some of you have discussed turtle ponds, etc.]

Yesterday, I noticed a Box Turtle (I think that's what it was) next to one
of my raised beds. Actually, I nearly stepped on the poor guy, because I
wasn't expecting any surprises there!

The turtle seems to be missing one of its front legs. I don't know how this
affects its ability to move around, it's apparent that the turtle uses its
front legs to pull off pieces of food to eat -- when I put down a few
slices of melon, it used one front foot to hold down the melon while pulling
pieces off.

Anybody have any suggestions what I should do -- if anything -- to help
this turtle out? I say "if anything" because I'd hate to see the turtle
become dependent upon my putting down food for it under the hedge. I'm not
going to put it in a cage, nor am I going to relocate it if I can help it,
because right now it's safe from my own dogs (and other dogs), and there are
lots of places for it to find cover.

Hi Ann,

I believe you can buy turtle food at the pet store. If not, feed him iguana
food, but not exclusively. It may have too much protein in it for box
turtles. They eat mostly fruits, berries, leaves, mushrooms, and an
occasional insect snack. He will seek a dry place to dig in and hibernate
for the winter. They like to hibernate in dry burrows or under logs.

Bob
Old 22-07-2003, 04:15 PM
johnrutz

Bob Adkins wrote:
[...]

yesterday i was looking for a BD present for my Granddaughter
specificaly a turtle noticed they have turtle food at wally world

Old 22-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Susan H. Simko

johnrutz wrote:

yesterday i was looking for a BD present for my Granddaughter
specificaly a turtle noticed they have turtle food at wally world

Anne may have a problem finding turtle food in NC as they are illegal to
be sold here.

I rescued a box turtle from the middle of a busy four lane highway a few
weeks back. He's now temporarily ensconced in a 40 gallon aquarium in
my dining room. (S.O. justified buying the aquarium as it will be a
home to a snake once the turtle is released.) The turtle, a male
(they're easily sexed), has been happily munching down on night
crawlers, superworms from Petsmart, cat food (fish flavoured only is his
*definite* preference) and assorted *drak* green leafy vegetables. All
of the diet suggestions were gleaned from extensive googling.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 22-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Bob Adkins

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:59:13 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

yesterday i was looking for a BD present for my Granddaughter
specificaly a turtle noticed they have turtle food at wally world

Hope that was tortoise type turtle food.

Anne may have a problem finding turtle food in NC as they are illegal to
be sold here.

That's puzzling! Diamond backs are on the endangered list, but Eastern box
are like fleas on a dog's back. In eastern Louisiana there are so many in
the woods that you nearly trip over them. Here in SW Louisiana, they are
very scarce. Their woodland habitat is almost gone, and it's too wet for
them anyway. If their burrow floods while they are in hibernation, they can
drown. The moisture here also afflict them with disfiguring fungus.

crawlers, superworms from Petsmart, cat food (fish flavoured only is his
*definite* preference) and assorted *drak* green leafy vegetables. All
of the diet suggestions were gleaned from extensive googling.

I recommend a meat treat 2-3 days per week, and feed them mostly nutritious
leaves, mushrooms, and fruit. I think too much protein can nuke their
kidneys.

Bob
Old 22-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Anne Lurie

Thanks for all the suggestions. I won't put down any meat products or cat
food unless I actually see the turtle, as I don't want to attract possible
predators.

If dark "green leafy vegetables" includes weeds, there should be plenty for
him to eat! There are also lots of plants around to produce berries.

As for a burrow, I'll bet that one of my brush piles would be just the thing
for him, and he wouldn't even need to dig, just push aside some pine
needles.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 22-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Susan H. Simko

Bob Adkins wrote:

That's puzzling! Diamond backs are on the endangered list, but Eastern box
are like fleas on a dog's back. In eastern Louisiana there are so many in
the woods that you nearly trip over them. Here in SW Louisiana, they are
very scarce. Their woodland habitat is almost gone, and it's too wet for
them anyway. If their burrow floods while they are in hibernation, they can
drown. The moisture here also afflict them with disfiguring fungus.

Has nothing to do with whether or not they are abundant or endangered.
*sigh* The law was passed due to the salmonella some turtles can carry
so all turtle sales were banned.

I recommend a meat treat 2-3 days per week, and feed them mostly nutritious
leaves, mushrooms, and fruit. I think too much protein can nuke their
kidneys.

Depends upon how old they are. Juveniles are primarily carnivores while
adults tend more towards being herbivorous.

Can you tell I like turtles? This despite spending my fourth birthday
in the ER getting my thumb sewn back together after a friend gave me a
turtle for my birthday. What no one seemed to know until he tried to
eat my thumb was that it was a snapping turtle. *smile* That was one
pet I wasn't allowed to keep.

BTW, in case you are curious about what sex your box turtle is, it's
easy. Turn them over and look at the bottom plate (plastron) The male
will have a concave indentation parallel to the tail whereas the female
will be flat with no concavity.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 23-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Susan H. Simko

Bob Adkins wrote:

Also, one sex has a slightly shorter tail. I used to know, but forgot which
sex has the shorter tail.

Males have the shorter tail but it's really hard to tell if you don't
have a male and female to compare in front of you. However, the
concavity of the plastron (underside shell of the turtle) is really obvious.

I think there is also a subtle difference in the rear edge of the carapace
too. One has more pronounced zig-zags, but again I forget which sex.

Not sure about that as I've never heard that before.

My brother had an eastern box named "Bobcat" for 15 years. He was no telling
how old when he was rescued from a big dog. I think they normally live 40-60
years.

Dogs are notorious for thinking box turtles are fun chew toys. I used
to have to take them off our german shepherd all the time but this is
also the dog that thought chewing rocks was fun!

I once heard a noise in the weeds, and noticed it was coming from a
misplaced basketball. The basketball was *moving! I snuck up on the ball,
and it was an amorous male turtle trying to mount the ball. Silly turtle!

*laugh*

I'm really hoping that when I release Mr. Turtle into the yard that he
decides to stick around. He can probably take up residence with
Hawkfood (the wild baby rabbit) who lives under my rosemary bush in my
herb garden.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Had a Box turtle pop in for a visit! Gareee© Ponds (moderated) 8 04-09-2007 08:36 PM
Box turtle in pond Bill Bunn Ponds 4 26-09-2005 09:25 PM
Should Iallow a box turtle in the pond? Mike Patterson Ponds 16 17-05-2004 07:07 PM
Just Curious, O/T - Box Turtle diet laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 1 28-07-2003 11:03 PM
O/T - Box Turtle diet Anne Lurie North Carolina 2 23-07-2003 03:32 AM