Old 26-07-2003, 07:34 PM
Ann in Houston

Default trading at fish stores

If I can't find anyone who lives here, who wants fish, what is the
likelihood that I could find a fish dealer that would trade me for some
plants or supplies?

Old 26-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Hank Pagel

In my experience it is very likely. Don't expect to get top dollar for
your fish and don't act like your doing them a favor. Most will be
glad to get local healthy fish and look forward to seeing you again.

y.com...

Old 27-07-2003, 02:02 AM
jammer

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:50:02 GMT, "Ann in Houston"
wrote:

If I can't find anyone who lives here, who wants fish, what is the
likelihood that I could find a fish dealer that would trade me for some
plants or supplies?

Haha....I called PetCo and they said, are you kidding? Besides, i dont
want them in that over populated tank anyway. I called Green Mama's
pond store and they said they don't "do" goldfish. I thought i had 2
or 3, then 3 or 4. I now have 7 young fish in a kiddie pool. I am glad
i got them out of there but now what? If i dont have any takers, i
will take them to a large pond that surrounds an apt. complex and let
them take thier chances. Good luck on getting rid of yours!

Old 27-07-2003, 02:42 AM
K30a

In some states it is the law that petstores take in fish from owners.
It keeps the owners from dumping the fish in natural waters.
Released goldfish are a huge problem in natural lakes.
Usually they have to poison the whole lake to get rid of them.
We have a lake in Oregon that has turned green because of bait minnows released
into the lake to the tune they now number 3 million. That lake is scheduled for
poisoning soon.

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/

Old 27-07-2003, 03:12 AM
AngrieWoman

The sign in our PetCo fish department guarantees that they will take back
any pet or offspring thereof of any pet purchased there.

--
Angie Thornton

Old 28-07-2003, 06:23 PM
ann in houston

Would you believe I was going through in my mind, possible stores to
call for this, and I got a little sad and sentimental thinking of
sending my pretty, long-finned comets to those nasty pet stores with
the ever-present floating fish? I know I've been guilty of killing a
few, myself, and I wouldn't mind if I knew that they would go to a
nice ponder who just doesn't want koi, or whatever, and is happy with
comets. Of course, the trouble is, that they can't interview
customers like a dog or cat breeder and "place" them. I get practical
when I look into my pond and see it over-stocked, with so many of
these guys, that all look the same when they are swimming and darting
around. But, then, when it comes to giving them away, I somehow don't
want to. What if someone buys them and puts them in a big aquarium,
not realizing how much trouble they'll be in that setup? I think I am
going to keep my biggest ones. I have some that have grown to 12
inches or more if you count the tail.
This is getting too long. I have some other thoughts and
questions that I'll start another thread for.
To be continued.....

Old 29-07-2003, 09:12 AM
jammer

I understand completely. I am happy a ponder is coming to get my 8
young fish tomorrow evening.

Maybe you could run an ad in the paper?

Old 29-07-2003, 01:12 PM
*muffin*

how about contacting your local 4-h association??
ours puts out newsletters each month that goes to all the clubs in the area.
(also at the county fair,, there is usually places to hang up signs for
animals for sale......find a jr. fair barn.)

sometimes putting signs up at Wal-Mart & other pet stores (also feed
stores!)can work..

muffin 4-h advisor for many years........( also sold mice ,rats & cavies
to pet stores,,,,,,guess fish are diff.)