Old 27-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Weldon Wallick

Default Lowe's Pond/Pool vacuum?

Has anyone used the Pond/Pool vacuum that Lowe's has?

It is made of plastic - has a garden hose connection and collects
leaves, etc. in a bag. Cost is $19.98.

Looks like it would work ok, but would it stir up too much dirt, etc.?

Old 27-07-2003, 02:22 AM
SMG

I bought one last year and it's great. I had to buy a
separate telescopic handle because the one supplied was
too short. If the bottom is real dirty it will stir up
some silt. To help with that, put the bag inside the
leg of old panty hose. If you vacuum regularily the
silt will diminish. Mine picks up leaves and rocks but
not the fish. I couldn't do without it. When I vacuum
I put a piece of quilt batting in the stream under the
waterfall and it picks up all the stirred up silt.

--
Visit Sherrie's Pond & Watergarden
http://members.neandertech.com/shegen

Old 27-07-2003, 03:42 AM
RichToyBox

I used one with my first ponds. Rather than have the bag on it, I connected
a piece of tubing to it that would go outside the pond and act somewhat as a
siphon to boot. The advantage was the waste was discharged onto the flower
beds, rather than create a cloud in the pond, and the chlorinated water was
not being put into the pond, without proper knowledge of amount for use of
dechlor.
--
RichToyBox

Old 27-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Weldon Wallick

Thanks for the comments and suggestions on how to improve the vacuum's
operation. Will get one.

Old 27-07-2003, 08:02 AM
DonKcR

model#UV189 ( 2649700269) underwater vacuum cleaner for pool and spa
(found in the pool and chemical department) not the pond department.

Old 27-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Weldon Wallick

Right, and I think it did say "pond", also or I wouldn't have paid
that much attention.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:47:51 -0700, "DonKcR" wrote:

model#UV189 ( 2649700269) underwater vacuum cleaner for pool and spa
(found in the pool and chemical department) not the pond department.
.. .

Old 28-07-2003, 02:23 AM
DonKcR

Yes, sorry it did say that on the back of the box. I just wanted anyone that
might want one to know that they should look in the pool area rather than
the pond area at their local store.
news

Old 28-07-2003, 03:12 AM
SMG

I have well water and don't worry about Chlorine but
two friends of mine do have chlorinated water and they
don't treat the water after using the pond/pool vac.
It apparently doesn't add enough water to require it.
I wait until my pond is about an inch low and vacuum.
It will add the inch of water in the time it takes me
to vacuum an 1800 gallon pond. I think the water
creates the vacuum but doesn't actually add that much.
Try the pantyhose trick if it clouds the water too much
and stick the quilt batting in the stream/waterfall if
you have one. I lay a double thickness of batting
across the width of the fall or stream if it's narrow.
I just have to leave it over night and it clears the
stirred up sediment. The more you vacuum the less
sediment you will have to stir up.

--
Visit Sherrie's Pond & Watergarden
http://members.neandertech.com/shegen
"Weldon Wallick" wrote in
message
Has anyone used the Pond/Pool vacuum that Lowe's has?

It is made of plastic - has a garden hose connection

and collects
leaves, etc. in a bag. Cost is $19.98.

Looks like it would work ok, but would it stir up too

much dirt, etc.?

POOL SCREEN AVAILABLE HERE (LANAI SCREEN POOL CAGE ) The Poolscreen Guy Lawns 2 13-10-2004 03:06 AM
WTB: Swimming Pool - need crew to install pool in ground GeneS Texas 1 22-06-2004 12:08 AM
Lowe's siphon pond cleaner thingy... AngrieWoman Ponds 2 25-08-2003 06:03 AM
Swimming Pool Vacuum Dan Ponds 2 17-06-2003 02:20 PM
Pool Pump Cover (was Swimming pool filter/pump question) Raymond Luxury-Yacht Lawns 0 15-05-2003 08:56 PM