Old 27-07-2003, 03:22 AM
dkat

Default Can a Pond Pump electric Cord be replaced?

Over the winter my waterfall pump's cord was chewed in half (at least that
is what I think happened to it). Is this something that can be repaired
given that it is outdoors? DK

Old 27-07-2003, 05:42 AM
claude rogers

Is it part of the cord that is submersed, or the part that is kept external
to the pond? If so ( not submersed), repair the wiring and seal it in
silicone. If it the submersable part, I wouldn't do that though. The
reason I say silicone is, that is what the phone company uses to seal up
broken or cut phone lines, yep that is experience talking. They repair the
wires and stick the repaired part in a little black box full of silicone and
close the box and you stick it back in the ground. I would go get a hobby
box and fill it full of silcone,cut holes just big enough for the cord stcik
the repaired part in there, if you keep the repair small you could even use
a medicine bottle. Someone else may have better ideas that me
though....Claude

Old 27-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Mouse

Use a weatherproof plug and socket to joint the cable ends. Fill the two
pieces with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) where they plug together. Put silicon
sealer around the cable entry and wire connections inside the covers. If
done carefully this repair will be totally waterproof.
Mike(UK)

"dkat" wrote in message
.net...
Over the winter my waterfall pump's cord was chewed in half (at least that
is what I think happened to it). Is this something that can be repaired
given that it is outdoors? DK

---

Old 27-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Mickey

There is a product called shrink wrap you can buy from electric companies or
do an internet search and I am sure it will come up also. That is what we
use in the electronics world to repair broken wires. You can buy it with an
adhesive inside that will seal like the silicone does.
.net...

Old 27-07-2003, 05:44 PM
johnrutz

claude rogers wrote:
Is it part of the cord that is submersed, or the part that is kept
external to the pond? If so ( not submersed), repair the wiring and
seal it in silicone. If it the submersable part, I wouldn't do that
though. The reason I say silicone is, that is what the phone company
uses to seal up broken or cut phone lines, yep that is experience
talking. They repair the wires and stick the repaired part in a
little black box full of silicone and close the box and you stick it
back in the ground. I would go get a hobby box and fill it full of
silcone,cut holes just big enough for the cord stcik the repaired
part in there, if you keep the repair small you could even use a
medicine bottle. Someone else may have better ideas that me
though....Claude

check with radio shack or something similar for shrink insulation,
after repair an silicon heat it and it shrinks tight agains the wire

and is water tight.

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 28-07-2003, 06:22 PM
DKat

Thank you all. This will be a great help and save a fair amount of money.
DK
"dkat" wrote in message
.net...
Over the winter my waterfall pump's cord was chewed in half (at least that
is what I think happened to it). Is this something that can be repaired
given that it is outdoors? DK

Why have potatoes replaced parsnips? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 21 06-10-2010 09:25 PM
Replaced my pump Phyllis and Jim Ponds (moderated) 3 15-04-2010 11:40 PM
Replaced needle and seat. TP Lawns 5 09-08-2006 11:56 PM
extension cord recommendation for electric mower needed Jawfish Gardening 2 01-06-2006 02:21 AM
Splicing power cord on Submersible pump Jackson Ponds 4 07-02-2006 01:47 AM