Old 28-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Rosey Reds

Looks like the 1,000 rosey reds I stocked in my pond spawned and now I have
about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,003 new ones all along
the shoreline of my pond. It's crazy seeing drones of fish schools like
that.

Sam

Old 28-07-2003, 06:32 PM
johnrutz

Sam Hopkins wrote:
Looks like the 1,000 rosey reds I stocked in my pond spawned and now I have
about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,003 new ones all along
the shoreline of my pond. It's crazy seeing drones of fish schools like
that.

Sam

are you sure you didnt miss one or two ?

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 28-07-2003, 06:42 PM
DonKcR

How big are rosey reds? Never seen one, but by the looks of your message I
would never want over "1". I'm already over stocked! Kc
.. .

Old 28-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Bob Adkins

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:08:45 -0400, "Sam Hopkins"
wrote:

Looks like the 1,000 rosey reds I stocked in my pond spawned and now I have
about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,003 new ones all along
the shoreline of my pond. It's crazy seeing drones of fish schools like
that.

So I should need only 3, right? Send them! :-)

Bob
Old 28-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Sam Hopkins

Bob I know you're building a big rec pond too. Let me say this. There's no
need to go by stocking rates. I stocked 100 bass, 100 catfish, 100
bluegills, 1,000 rosey reds (the minimum I could get), and 48 shiners. A few
months later there's a billion fish. Had I gone by the stocking rates the
government puts out (and the fish hatchery) It would have cost about
$6,000.00. Instead I payed $660.00 and everyone's happy.

Old 28-07-2003, 11:02 PM
April1201

Do rosey reds eat guppies?
Old 29-07-2003, 08:32 AM
jammer

Yes, if i ever get curious about these "rosey reds", I think about ONE
would do.

Of course, my luck, it would be pregnant.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:34:55 -0700, "DonKcR" wrote:

How big are rosey reds? Never seen one, but by the looks of your message I
would never want over "1". I'm already over stocked! Kc
. ..

Old 29-07-2003, 03:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Looks like the 1,000 rosey reds I stocked in my pond spawned and now I

have
about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,003 new ones all

along
the shoreline of my pond. It's crazy seeing drones of fish schools like
that.

I put less then a dozen in my pond, and I now have several hundred. Go to
PetSmart and buy a dozen for a dollar or so...then you will have an endless
supply.

BV.

Old 29-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Robyn Rhudy

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, jammer wrote:

Yes, if i ever get curious about these "rosey reds", I think about ONE
would do.

Each pond is different. If you notice, those people who have a billion of
them usually have large ponds or new ponds which have few predators. I
keep fatheads (natural rosy reds) in my 1800 gallon pond. Many babies
made it the first few years of my pond in 1997 and 1998. Now, I have
maybe 30 of them in the entire pond. Why? They are preferred by these
predators in my ponds - snakes, raccoons, orfe, and bullfrogs. I put some
in my 153 gallon pond this spring. Again, for my situation, they are NOT
overpopulated. So, don't immediately consider them some sort of out of
control pest when it varies situation to situation. They are my favorite
fish and the reason I started with aquariums and ponds so I tend to stand
up for them! My site is the probably the only real one on them at
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/rosies.htm and
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/rosy2.htm

Of course, my luck, it would be pregnant.

They cannot be pregnant. Females are egg-laden or "ripe." A female by
herself cannot expel her eggs and if she could, without a male to
fertilize them, no wee ones would be forthcoming. If I added just one
minnow, someone would soon eat him. They must be tasty as bullfrogs,
raccoons, turtles, herons, and all sorts of animals go after them. Unlike
some other fish who shall remain nameless, rosy reds are sweet fish who do
not harm other fish (males will drive others from their nest but not hurt
them) or eat tadpoles or chew off other fishes' fins. I've spent a lot of
time nursing batches back to health that I got sold as feeders. They are
treated so poorly. They deserve much better!

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:34:55 -0700, "DonKcR" wrote:

How big are rosey reds? Never seen one, but by the looks of your message I
would never want over "1". I'm already over stocked! Kc
"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
. ..
Looks like the 1,000 rosey reds I stocked in my pond spawned and now I

have
about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,003 new ones all

along
the shoreline of my pond. It's crazy seeing drones of fish schools like
that.

Sam

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_
/ \----------/ \
\ | | | | /
ww ooo ooo ww

Old 29-07-2003, 08:22 PM
jammer

Point well taken. I do not have any predators around and think i would
have the over population. My pond (let) is only 70 gallons. Thanks for
the info.

Old 30-07-2003, 04:23 AM
Bob Adkins

wrote:

Looks like the 1,000 rosey reds I stocked in my pond spawned and now I have
about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,003 new ones all along
the shoreline of my pond. It's crazy seeing drones of fish schools like
that.

Hey Sam, how are rosy red's as food for bluegill? How about eating
mosquitos? Do they eat as many as mosquito fish? How about bait? Think they
would be easy to net for use as bluegill and bass bait? About how much does
1000 cost delivered?

I have 100 more questions, but I'll leave you alone for now. :-)

Bob
Old 30-07-2003, 02:03 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote:

Looks like the 1,000 rosey reds I stocked in my pond spawned and now I

have
about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,003 new ones all

along
the shoreline of my pond. It's crazy seeing drones of fish schools like
that.

Hey Sam, how are rosy red's as food for bluegill? How about eating
mosquitos? Do they eat as many as mosquito fish? How about bait? Think

they
would be easy to net for use as bluegill and bass bait? About how much

does
1000 cost delivered?

I have 100 more questions, but I'll leave you alone for now. :-)

Rosies are 12 cents or so were I live. I get them at Petsmart. I tossed in
less then a dozen, let's say around 8 or 9, and I know now have hundreds.

BV.

Old 30-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

They're about the same size more or less.

"April1201" wrote in message
Do rosey reds eat guppies?

Old 30-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Sam Hopkins

Bob,

They're put in the pond for food for the bass. I've read everywhere
that bluegills dont eat fish however all the bluegills I have raised in
aquariums eat them with no reserve. Around here they're used as bait for
fishing. As bait or for pond stocking they are called "fatheads" but in the
petstore they are called "rosey reds". Around here at least you're supposed
to stock them and golden shiners before your bass so that they get establish
before the bass start sucking them down. I stocked them at the same time as
my bass but my bass where only 1.5-2 inches long and wouldnt have been able
to eat the full sized ones anyways. 1,000 of them cost around $100.00 or so
delivered via UPS.

Sam

Old 31-07-2003, 01:05 AM
jammer

I have caught an aweful lot of bluegill on minnows for "them" to be
saying bluegill don't eat fish!

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:34:21 -0400, "Sam Hopkins"
wrote:

Bob,

They're put in the pond for food for the bass. I've read everywhere
that bluegills dont eat fish however all the bluegills I have raised in
aquariums eat them with no reserve. Around here they're used as bait for
fishing. As bait or for pond stocking they are called "fatheads" but in the
petstore they are called "rosey reds". Around here at least you're supposed
to stock them and golden shiners before your bass so that they get establish
before the bass start sucking them down. I stocked them at the same time as
my bass but my bass where only 1.5-2 inches long and wouldnt have been able
to eat the full sized ones anyways. 1,000 of them cost around $100.00 or so
delivered via UPS.

Sam

.. .

Rosie Reds and Comets DePonder Ponds 3 05-09-2003 04:02 PM
Rosey reds vs. baby bass Sam Hopkins Ponds 3 23-08-2003 03:02 AM
Rosie Reds April1201 Ponds 15 12-08-2003 04:13 PM
Rosie Reds D. S. Ponds 3 02-06-2003 03:57 PM
Fragrant reds (was Pics (including Double Delight)) Daniel Hanna Roses 0 21-05-2003 10:20 PM