GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   black algae (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/38674-black-algae.html)

Neal Broerman 29-07-2003 06:12 AM

black algae

my pond walls are totally covered with what looks like black algae. the fish
won't eat it and it clogs the filter very fast. any suggestions how to get
rid of it?

Neal Broerman

Lee Brouillet 29-07-2003 03:22 PM

black algae

There seems to be quite an outbreak of cyanobacteria (algae) this year. And
it comes in cycles: once you think it's all done and you can breathe a sigh
of relief, it comes back. If you find a cure for it, let us know. Other
than that, I think winter is the only thing that will "cure" it. Make sure
that you have a lot of "fines" filtration in your skimmer and try to get the
stuff trapped before it clogs your main filtration. Be prepared to have to
clean the skimmer twice a day, but it will help.

Good luck.

Lee