GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Overstocking My Plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/38811-overstocking-my-plants.html)

BenignVanilla 30-07-2003 04:32 PM

Overstocking My Plants

OK, another thread led to this one. As you may well know, my pond has no
filtration other then a VF. My main pond is also heavily planted. The VF
right now is nearly solid, with roots. I have noticed some plants (most
plants) not being as green as they were, and some are down right yellow. I
am now looking to raise the nutrients to help this.

So I ask...is it possible, contrary to popular belief, to overstock with
plants and filter nutrients out faster then the fish can produce them?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Sam Hopkins 30-07-2003 09:03 PM

Overstocking My Plants

Yes it is possible to overstock plants. This is what plagues people who
raise plants in aquariums.

BenignVanilla 30-07-2003 09:47 PM

Overstocking My Plants

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Yes it is possible to overstock plants. This is what plagues people who
raise plants in aquariums.

snip

I never thought I could do it, but it appears I have done it. Time to
throttle back some plants. Maybe move some frogbit to my aquarium, and some
to Wilson, when I get a spare moment. Sorry Wilson, life keeps getting in
the way of living.

BV.

zookeeper 31-07-2003 07:32 AM

Overstocking My Plants

BenignVanilla wrote:
So I ask...is it possible, contrary to popular belief, to overstock with
plants and filter nutrients out faster then the fish can produce them?

BV, maybe the plants need orange water in order to survive? Some iron in
the clay that's now missing from their diet?
--
zookeeper

BenignVanilla 31-07-2003 03:12 PM

Overstocking My Plants

"zookeeper" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
So I ask...is it possible, contrary to popular belief, to overstock with
plants and filter nutrients out faster then the fish can produce them?

BV, maybe the plants need orange water in order to survive? Some iron in
the clay that's now missing from their diet?
--
zookeeper

You are just LOVING my orange problem aren't you? *laugh* You better watch
yourself, or I'll put that Rosie Red Minnow hex on you, like I almost did to
Nedra.

BV.

Nedra 31-07-2003 04:33 PM

Overstocking My Plants

huh? What did I do? Why sweet little ol' me?
BV, you surprise me....

Nedra

BenignVanilla 31-07-2003 05:42 PM

Overstocking My Plants

"Nedra" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
huh? What did I do? Why sweet little ol' me?
BV, you surprise me....

snip

Aww come on, you don't remember my voodoo curse from a few months back? I
lifted it before it took effect, remember?

BV.

Nedra 31-07-2003 07:06 PM

Overstocking My Plants

Uhhhh ... let's see? Voodoo curse - does sound vaguely
familiar! LOLoLOL!!

I'm a basket case, BV.... totalled. I thought I had a good
memory but this one escapes me.............

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

arthlink.net...

Ted 01-08-2003 04:04 AM

Overstocking My Plants

I have that problem as here in the deep south they get a head start in the
spring and are huge by this time of year. I pull some back but one of the
things I do is through one of thos elarge plant spikes for evergreens into
the water when I notice this and they green back up again in no time.

Lisa
http://community.webshots.com/user/ldziedzic2001

zookeeper 01-08-2003 07:44 AM

Overstocking My Plants

BenignVanilla wrote:
"zookeeper" wrote in message

BV, maybe the plants need orange water in order to survive? Some iron in
the clay that's now missing from their diet?

You are just LOVING my orange problem aren't you? *laugh* You better watch
yourself, or I'll put that Rosie Red Minnow hex on you, like I almost did to
Nedra.

Well, sniff, it was actually, sniff, a serious question (note lack of
the usual wink icon), sniff.

I do enjoy your orange pond-water tales, if only because I have lots of
green, silty water at the moment. If I had a digital camera or a
scanner, I'd share so we all could laugh about my pea-soup pond. Hey, do
Rosie Red Minnow hexes cure green water?
--
zookeeper

BenignVanilla 01-08-2003 02:02 PM

Overstocking My Plants

"zookeeper" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
"zookeeper" wrote in message

BV, maybe the plants need orange water in order to survive? Some iron in
the clay that's now missing from their diet?

You are just LOVING my orange problem aren't you? *laugh* You better

watch
yourself, or I'll put that Rosie Red Minnow hex on you, like I almost

did to
Nedra.

Well, sniff, it was actually, sniff, a serious question (note lack of
the usual wink icon), sniff.

I do enjoy your orange pond-water tales, if only because I have lots of
green, silty water at the moment. If I had a digital camera or a
scanner, I'd share so we all could laugh about my pea-soup pond. Hey, do
Rosie Red Minnow hexes cure green water?

Sorry, my bad. I am a bit over-sensitive about my orange water. *laugh*

BV.

adavisus 09-08-2003 02:39 PM

Overstocking My Plants

Yup, it sure is likely when ponds are heavily planted and liner ponds,
there's a definite limit to what plants can do. You are headed toward
the opposite of 'eutrophic' conditions, first obvious signs are water
lilies not forming buds and foliage yellowing.

Until you thin out the plants and supply effective fertility, the
plants will take advantage of the situation, the more invasive plants
will try to smother more delicate ones and mulch them...

the likes of mulch fluid, super phosphates, and typical tomato feed
should perk aquatics as much or as little as you like, however its
always a good idea to cut back the less interesting more invasive
plant varieties prior to winter, those which are likely to dump a lot
of dead foliage in the water

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps:)
http://community.webshots.com/user/adavisus
(photo albums of aquatic plants and descriptions)